Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Those were the days

Those were the days

In the spirit of DT's thread I thought it might be an idea for people to tell us some of their back story with links to fell running and the forum. Why you run or ran, some of your best times, your friendships, experiences... maybe regrets as well.

I didn't have a running background unless you county schools athletics. I was a hockey player through secondary school until around 30 when I stopped and did nothing but put on a couple of stone until the age of 38.

Mrs WP was an ex runner and wanted to get the two girls down to Blackburn Harriers and I tagged along as a Dad. Next news we are having a plod around a 2 mile loop in the park and I get roped in to Cross Country.
    My first race was the Mid Lancs at Kendal, 202nd of 234 runners.
    I did my first fell race in July 2004. The Tockholes Gala Fell Race. I didn't know at the time but I finished just in front of Swoop and we've continued to bump in to each other over the years since. Mostly see him now as he tours Parkruns.
    I loved the race and got the bug.
    My experiences have been limited somewhat as most of the time since then I've been a Dad, Coach and Team Manager, so my efforts have been limited by following the kids around.
    Now I have dropped the duties, I'm not fit enough to do what I'd like to do and experience some of the great places many of the forumites have. I'll get there. If I can't run them I'll just have to walk them
    Most fun I had linked to the Forum was with Danbert. He also ran local Cross Country for Rochdale and what a character he was.
    We had a bit of a challenge at the National Alton Towers one year and I managed to get in before him, walk back down the course as he was coming in.
    He didn't twig it was me at first as I gave him a high five about 200m from the finish. He wasn't a happy bunny
    My favourite fell running experience was the 2013 Anniversary Waltz, running with Mrs WP to celebrate our Silver Wedding anniversary.
    It will always be our favourite event.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Good stuff Witton and RIP Danbert. He was always great value on here along with his close friend The General. I never met him / them sadly
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Good stuff Witton and RIP Danbert. He was always great value on here along with his close friend The General. I never met him / them sadly
    Chaddy the Owl as well.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

It was a long road to fellrunning for me. Did XC to a reasonable level at school... 2nd in the school, 5th in the town... not sure if i ran for Warwickshire or just in the Warwickshire champs. The only other competitive running i did was an 800mtrs at the town sports... dead last (even then it was way too short for me).

Drifted right out of it, into saturday and sunday football. When i got heavily into Muay Thai my running picked up again. Would do perhaps 20 miles a week and i was getting in decent shape through the kickboxing. In Thailand we had to run 10km every morning and 5km every afternoon, prior to training, 6 days a week. But still i only did a couple of local 10km races. But i just got sub 40mins with no specific running training other than going out and doing a few hard runs on the roads.

Joined the forum some time before my first race in 2015. The first (of many) people i met off the forum were DaveMole and occasional forumite TrevorM. But i reckon i've met or would know at least half of the regular/occasional posters on here... some more than others... DaveMole i see all over Shropshire. TrevorM all over and we did a Shropshire Mini Round together a couple of weeks back. GazB at the XC and ran for my Lee Mill Relay team last autumn. PeteS at at Shropshire and the Mountain Trial. DanGilbert guaranteed to be at the Lakes Classics and the Mountain Trial. Tindersticks everywhere (as you would expect). Calvin all over the place. Nigel&Mrs Race The Sweeper. And many others i've seen and spoken to a few times.

One of my abiding memories about the forum is descending off Carnedd Dafydd one year in the Welsh 1000, and someone still on their way up bellowed "GO ON TRAVS!" at the top of their voice as we passed. I couldn't see who it was due to the sweat in my eyes, and to this day i've still no idea who it was...!
    Last edited by Travs; 04-07-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Banned
    Swoop was a good friend who took me under his wing and we had many a Friday run around various area's.

Top bloke. Hope you're still fit and well Colin.

Banned
    Did a recce of stoodley pike with JJ.

Banned
    Enjoyed Daz H because we were both welders and fell runners.

Banned
    Whatfe and Lynn are a couple of top folks.

Banned
    Bill J and Calder Valley were great times with fantastic road trips.

Banned
    Chopsticks was similar to Daz in the fact he has time for everybody.