Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Those were the days

I understand the opinion that "well this is the Down The Pub/General section, so if you don't like it then stick to the running sections"

That's a fair enough point I suppose... but when it starts infiltrating the other posts (this one for example) it's a bit of a shame really.

But yeah GeoffB nails it... might as well join a politics forum if you're that way inclined!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I certainly wouldn't go on a political forum and start discussing fell running.
    Now there's an idea. Go onto the Conservative Policy Forum and raise the issue of whether it is better to go over Esk Pike or contour round in the Langdale Race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Now there's an idea. Go onto the Conservative Policy Forum and raise the issue of whether it is better to go over Esk Pike or contour round in the Langdale Race.
    That would be absolute stupidity... everyone knows it's better to go over!

(or is this going to lead to the biggest argument in forum history!)

Round is more fun though and I ain't going to win anything.

Now should you jump/fall down the bad step or wimp round to the left (or is it right?)
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I've always thought they are neck-and-neck for time, but as you approach the meet-up point downhill off Esk Pike, you feel fresher. Depends what you like though... i'd much prefer an easy climb then descent to an awkward traverse...

Bad Step... to the left for me!

Super Moderator
    I remember a time when forumites would have got a right telling off for discussing fellrunning ‘Down the Pub’
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Well, look. Its a fair call to try to drag the forum back towards reasonably and comradely debate, banter and sharing. Perhaps the leaky old labrador may be persuaded to wag its tail again?
    Getting back to the OP request, here's a brief resume of my involvement.
    Was a rugby player and 400/800 metre school county level runner.
    Started running in '84 and fell running in '86
    5th in Welsh Champs in 90 and 91.
    First serviceman in '89 Ben Nevis race.
    Did British 3 peaks race in '89 and Scottish Islands Peaks Race 92-95
    Completed Dragons Back route in 2007
    Stopped racing in 2018 due to heart issues although can still run, albeit at a non competitive pace.
    Entered races as my alter-ego Wheeze, did a short lived cartoon series for the fell runner mag and was a Welsh correspondent for the equally short lived Up and Down mag (using the tag Rhonchus...another type of breath sound)
    Enthusiastic poster through all (is it 4??) iterations of the Forum.
    Forum highlights. Yorkshire Thug, Gravy Boys, JJ, Daz H, Danbert Nocurry, jousts about FRA independance and fell running safety (although many may argue that the latter marked a downturn in the character of the forum due to the input of Always Injured).
    Thats enough for now or else I'll run over the Tup-Limit!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Looks like we're back to the old normal!!

Long may it continue

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    It would be sad to see it go so making changes such as Graham’s point on removing anonymity would definitely help.

Oracle is who motivated me to post after lurking on route threads -so if someone should go it is him. Unless he chooses to unmask himself as per the change suggested above. Dave Mole decided to tackle him, as he has done in the past, method notwithstanding it needed to be done. Not because of left/right politics but because of the hate.
    Tackle - now I'd say bully - but I doubt Oracle would see himself as a victim. That's just how I perceived it on a few occasions. Certainly if it's about hate - I felt more hate coming from DM.

As for anonymity, I think most Forumites on here have a good idea who Oracle is.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Go on then, I'll have a go although it will be distinctly unimpressive compared to most of you.

I started running in early 2005 as a way of getting fit and losing weight. My first race was the Leeds Half in May of that year and shortly after that I joined Kippax Harriers, of which I'm still a member. I particularly enjoined off-road running and was fairly soon doing LDWA events.

In 2007 I read Feet in the Clouds and found it truly inspirational. The legends of the sport seemed to be such top athletes and yet in the wider world they were largely unsung. The book made me want to have a go at fell running and I think my first race was the Stoop, quickly followed by Auld Lang Syne. I did the Good Shepherd fell race in September 2008 and got talking to somebody at the end, who was a member of CVFR. I joined and was a member for about three years. The problem was that due to where I was working at that point, I struggled to get to club nights in time.

I did quite a bit of racing in those few years, including the Woodentops races a number of times, quite a few in the Calderdale area and others slightly further afield like the Half Tour of Pendle. I used also used to enjoy running in the Calderdale Way relay, even if it was always freezing waiting at the Wainstalls leg changeover. I did the Three Peaks race four times, the last one being in 2014. I would say the event I am most proud of completing was the Fellsman in 2010. I was only ever a mediocre fell runner and while in road races I was often in the top 10%, on the fells I would typically be half way down, if not lower. But I really did enjoy it.

My last fell race was Auld Lang Syne at the end of 2016. In early 2017 I trained for and completed the Manchester marathon (3:15 since you ask). I had been averaging 50 miles a week, which for me was a lot - too much as it turned out. In April I developed a knee injury and things have never been quite the same since. I had a knee operation that October but it still took a long time to get back and I've also had hip problems. Since 2018 it has been mainly a combination of trail/road running and cycling. I still do the odd LDWA event and I would like to get back into fell running. I've probably lost a bit of confidence to be honest.

In terms of forumites, most people seem to be pretty decent really. You don't have to agree with people to be civil and I think most people are. Everybody is entitled to their point of view.

Like a lot of people I used to enjoy many of Danbert's posts, he was very funny. Some of the banter between him and The Heathens on the football thread was pretty memorable.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 06-07-2020 at 10:44 PM.