Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Those were the days

I approve of Witton Park's initiation of this thread. Here's my resume. (Does anyone know how to add accents to a post on this forum?)

Most of you will know me through my recent role as FRA Chair. No, no, no - that was supposed to be a joke. No more, I promise. Enough already. (Honestly, for those people who might care, I haven't been posting under multiple aliases. I'm a pretty straightforward and open sort of person. Indeed, I've often overheard my friends say that I'm really very simple. You really haven't missed anything by not knowing my full name.)

Give me twenty minutes and I'll post something. Actually, make that 20 minutes after I've had my dinner - i.e., sometime later today.

The Ponies were a good bunch as well.
    I still have a few of them on Facebook. Managed to lure a couple of them to run for us on the XC for a season or two.
    The Master is involved in a running project in Manchester and I last saw him a couple of years ago at Worsley Woods Parkrun, where he was the organiser.
    Fellmonster was at the same Parkrun with his lad, who looks like he might be a handy runner if he fancies it and he's since moved back to Northern Ireland.
    Merrylegs - Steve is regularly perking up my FB feed with his banter.
    Amex - another Steve - regular fundraiser these days.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Enjoyed Daz H because we were both welders and fell runners.
    Lovely bloke Daz h - spent a lot of enjoyable hours on the fells with him.
    Don’t think he knew how good a runner he was. Never fulfilled the potential.
    I guess he proves that living to the full now is important: who knows what is coming round the next corner in life.
    Last edited by Oracle; 05-07-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Banned
    Lovely bloke. Couldnt run
    Downhill for toffee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Swoop was a good friend who took me under his wing and we had many a Friday run around various area's.

Top bloke. Hope you're still fit and well Colin.

My name is Peter Fleming. (Hence the account name.) There are 3 posts by me, about 2 years ago, in the thread "Races->Groovy Kinder Love" that I made under the name PFl. (The reason I changed accounts was because the old one no longer seemed to work - whether because it had expired or I'd forgotten the password, I'm not sure. Those three posts were hardly worth worrying about continuity for, so I simply created a new account last month.) I have never, ever, posted under any name other than PFl and Flem.

I started 'competitive' (although that's stretching things pretty far) running at junior school, with a couple of track races in some sort of Manchester schools' events, as far as I remember. At secondary school I again ran some track events (400 m, 800 m, and 1500 m - nothing serious or impressive, just some sort of inter-school events). I then got into orienteering, and I was doing some hill walking by then - going up to the Lakes to camp, and walking around the Peak District (and drinking). At university it was orienteering and a couple of Mountain Marathons (strictly speaking, I think it was 1.5 MMs) - Saunders, and the Karrimor (on the Isle of Arran). A few orienteering JK and British Champs events. And I did some cycle touring. (And drinking, obviously.) In the 1980s it was orienteering, some Long-O events, and road racing. (I ran the first London marathon, and the Paris marathon three times.) I was living in Oslo for the first half of the 1990s, where it was road and trail racing. (And, yes, you've guessed it, drinking.) I won a couple of prizes in Norway - a wooden salad bowl was one I remember - but the Norwegians were very egalitarian and had so many age categories that the maximum number of people in any category was 4, and they gave prizes to the first 3. (Very harsh on the small number of entrants who didn't win a prize, I thought.) It's possible that I did a couple of fell races during that time, on my visits back to England, but my memory is so shot that I'm not sure. (I wonder why my memory is so bad these days?) I used to have records of training runs and races, but the Beast From The East a couple of years ago caused a water pipe at home to burst while I was away on holiday, resulting in my having to throw away a big pile of sodden yuck, including most of my records (i.e., scraps of paper with times written on them in pencil). If I hadn't started before, I started fell racing on, or shortly after, my return to England in 1996. I was (and still am) living in Berkshire so I wasn't (and never have been) a prolific fell racer, but I did a few races a year, mostly around Manchester and in Wales. I can't remember which my first fell race was. The Snowdon race (I know, not a proper fell race) was an early race I did. (My memory tells me that I ran it in about 1:20 or 1:25, but my memory tells me all sorts of things which are bollocks, so make of that what you will. I think I entered the race on the day, but that might be wrong.) I also remember running Auld Lang Syne in 1999 - again, entering the race on the day. (Planning ahead has never been my strong suit. But then, neither has anything else, including training.) In the last few years I've been averaging perhaps one race every month or two, and I've also been running trail races (maybe 2 or 3 a year) in Portugal, the Canary Islands, and the Azores.

Later today I'll maybe post some pictures online somewhere, to show those people who had thought that I had been posting under multiple aliases that I'm not someone they know. I doubt very much that anyone will know me. (It's possible that some people might have glimpsed me from their car window as they were setting off for home and as I was finishing a race.) I have never been a member of a fell running, nor road running, club (although I was a member of a couple of orienteering clubs at university - I was even treasurer of one, until the fraud squad raided us.) I like to think that this is because I'm a free spirit who doesn't like to be tied down by rules and regulations. The truth, however, is that since my mid-twenties I've been a miserable, anti-social, old bugger. (I'm sure my friends would object to that description. I'm sure they would claim it started well before my mid-twenties.) I might exchange a few pleasantries with one or two people at the start or end of a race, or even during a race, provided I'm not in a grumpy mood. (So, about once a year then.)

Anyone on here who has wondered who I am must have such a feeling of anti-climax!

Banned
    Apologies: A certain past chairman is also past master of prolific multiple identities. So some of us assumed. Appearing from nowhere to Like His posts was , you must admit, suspicious!

What have you done in Portugal? I’m looking for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Later today I'll maybe post some pictures online somewhere, to show those people who had thought that I had been posting under multiple aliases that I'm not someone they know. I doubt very much that anyone will know me. (It's possible that some people might have glimpsed me from their car window as they were setting off for home and as I was finishing a race.) I have never been a member of a fell running, nor road running, club (although I was a member of a couple of orienteering clubs at university - I was even treasurer of one, until the fraud squad raided us.) I like to think that this is because I'm a free spirit who doesn't like to be tied down by rules and regulations. The truth, however, is that since my mid-twenties I've been a miserable, anti-social, old bugger. (I'm sure my friends would object to that description. I'm sure they would claim it started well before my mid-twenties.) I might exchange a few pleasantries with one or two people at the start or end of a race, or even during a race, provided I'm not in a grumpy mood. (So, about once a year then.)

Anyone on here who has wondered who I am must have such a feeling of anti-climax!
    Last edited by Oracle; 05-07-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Appearing from nowhere to Like His posts was , you must admit, suspicious!
    Where on earth was I supposed to appear from? And, no, I most certainly do not admit that it was suspicious. I don't think it was remotely suspicious - at least, not to anyone with any sense. It was paranoid stupidity by the pair of you.
    Last edited by Flem; 05-07-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Sp

[QUOTE=Flem;663369] but my memory is so shot that I'm not sure.
    I can't remember which my first fell race was.

Perhaps you have also forgotten that you were a very good tennis player!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog