Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Those were the days

Flem... your mention of walking on the fells (and drinking) raised a smile with me!

All of my early trips revolved around walking and drinking (usually drinking taking priority). Couple of cans of Cider was compulsory kit in those days. And hauled myself up the Skiddaw/Birkhouse Moor/Miners Track/Brown Tongue/Ben Nevis in some awful states on many an occasion!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Perhaps you have also forgotten that you were a very good tennis player!
    I had forgotten that! Thanks for reminding me. I must admit, though, that my partnership with Johnny Boy (as I used to call him) made me look better than I really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Ben Nevis in some awful states on many an occasion!
    I've never yet been up Ben Nevis. That is one of my regrets, which I hope to remedy sometime reasonably soon.

Ah nostalgia ain't what it used to be.....
    Fell highlights- getting round the Old County tops with Daz the Slug- from this here forum, getting round Borrowdale that same year at my 4th attempt.
    The future-being on the start line 1 more time at the 3P's- not being timed out would be a bonus.
    BTW do still hang out with chief Pony & bump into a few other (old) forumites now & again.
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Where on earth was I supposed to appear from? And, no, I most certainly do not admit that it was suspicious. I don't think it was remotely suspicious - at least, not to anyone with any sense. It was paranoid stupidity by the pair of you.
    Actually once bitten twice shy for the pair of us. Reserve judgement on how suspicious it was till you are a victim of the same. Had you posted anywhere else other than to complement graham, it would have looked more normal. I gave an apology, perhaps reciprocation with a pleasantry might be a way to get on.
    Last edited by Oracle; 05-07-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Banned
    I've never yet been up Ben Nevis. That is one of my regrets, which I hope to remedy sometime reasonably soon.
    As for the Ben, try the ridge traverse behind it, that swings clockwise up to the top. Far better views of the rock faces , than the tourist/ race path. Be careful coming down. Five fingers gully is a killer in clag.

I did the standard tourist slog up Ben Nevis, as was with a group of far less fit friends. One of them was a student from Singapore (that great mountain nation!).... he was a photography enthusiast and insisted on carrying up what i can only describe as one of Del-Boy's Russian Camcorders up to the top and back, despite never having seen a hill before and being woefully unfit.

Luckily for him (and all of us) we chose one of the best days on record and the view was absolutely stunning.

Although i do think there are better places to walk/run in Scotland... Did a trip to Ullapool a couple of years later, which also produced some memorable moments, although more for the drinking exploits than the walking... although did get up Stac Pollaidh which was like being in a landscape from another world...

Where on earth was I supposed to appear from? And, no, I most certainly do not admit that it was suspicious. I don't think it was remotely suspicious - at least, not to anyone with any sense. It was paranoid stupidity by the pair of you.
    Good heavens!

Maybe I liked Flem's post because; I liked Flem's posts. Is that just too incredible to believe?

The style of Flem's posts is completely different to mine. It's refreshing, droll and funny - and is not how I write. (Obviously my writing is superior).

It must be at least five years since I used an alias. It is so long ago I cannot recall, life is short and I am not bothering to check. (Which means I am not someone else I am sometimes accused of being).

All my aliases were readily identifiable as me, the language, style, grammar; who else uses colons, dashes, semicolons and ... as much as I do? (That is rhetorical).

Hanneke [whom some will remember of the titanium bike(s)], once sent me a list of the aliases I had used. It didn't need a knowledge of deconstruction theory, but I complimented her anyway. (I nearly wrote complemented there! Oh dear. Spelling Bee would have liked that).

Having said all that it is apparent that someone who used to post has recently returned under another alias, just as aggressive and opinionated - but so what?

And if Oracle turned out to be Mike Bate's twin brother I wouldn't be totally astonished - despite the best efforts of Imperial College neither can spell, recognize the value of punctuation, edit their verbose rants, listen to contrary views,...mmmh?

Graham
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 05-07-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

by the pair of you.
    To be clear. The pair I'm referring to here are the pair who were continually suggesting that I had been posting under multiple aliases, despite my best efforts to point out, in what I hoped was a humorous way, how silly they were being. It was, of course, Oracle who started the suggestions. Paranoia and a compulsion to buy into conspiracy theories seems to dominate Oracle's thinking.

Paranoia and a compulsion to buy into conspiracy theories

So: are you not me?
    Or not?
    ....it's all downhill from here.