Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Those were the days

I must say the forum for me was a godsend... the advice I received on here when starting off, and the sheer wealth of info available on races, challenges, training, BGR, still help me to this day. Would be a terrible shame to see it disappear.

However I can understand that the current state of the forum doesn't really reflect well on the FRA nor it's members, given that it is linked to their home page. And now the same old bollocks flaring up on this thread which started off so well...

Brett. Your call. T'would be sad to see it go, but like an old leaky labrador, it may be a kindness to put it down. And I say that as quite possibly the longest active poster (from forum mark 1).
    Either that or ban the hopelessly inflammatory participants who suffer from combatative incontinence! It is tiresome.

Brett

I shouldn't really quote myself although, unusually, Bob Dylan hasn't pronounced on the matter (although I saw a droll letter in the Sunday Telegraph quoting him yesterday) so:

Well that made me smile.

And what's the Forum for but to amuse, to inform, to intrigue and to display la bête humaine.

I would abolish anonymity (please! No tired old jokes about Happenings Ten Years Time Ago) because it seems to me that encourages nastiness (as distinct from, say, puncturing pomposity or pretentiousness) and so I think posters should display their names even if they post as a civic park in Blackburn.

If they must. (JOKE!!!)

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Brett. Your call. T'would be sad to see it go, but like an old leaky labrador, it may be a kindness to put it down. And I say that as quite possibly the longest active poster (from forum mark 1).
    Either that or ban the hopelessly inflammatory participants who suffer from combatative incontinence! It is tiresome.
    One post per topic per day - that might help
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    And maybe a limit of 1500 words too
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It would be sad to see it go so making changes such as Graham’s point on removing anonymity would definitely help.

Oracle is who motivated me to post after lurking on route threads -so if someone should go it is him. Unless he chooses to unmask himself as per the change suggested above. Dave Mole decided to tackle him, as he has done in the past, method notwithstanding it needed to be done. Not because of left/right politics but because of the hate.

The forum was the only place that gave me the year of the first Brecon Beacon fell race which I took part in but couldn't remember the year. A valuable resource for fading memories.

Personally I think the forum has always been a fantastic place to gain knowledge on all manner of topics. I don’t confess to knowing how the website works. Is it possible to keep all the previous threads and simply don’t allow any new posts?
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 06-07-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I think it's about time to close the forum
    Be a sad day, but it's your call.

Life will carry on but some folks will be left with no fellrunning communication at all other than 3 magazines per year.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort Brett.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I think it's about time to close the forum
    That would be really sad. The forum used to be a great place to discuss running and running-related issues.

I don't understand why the political posters can't go and find a political forum to post on. I certainly wouldn't go on a political forum and start discussing fell running.