Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabrina Verjee Wainwrights attempt

Not sure what's happening right now, but the tracker is down at the north end of Thirlmere, having dropped down that side from Armboth Fell rather than continuing to Borrowdale. Must have been a difficult night as she was still about 6h30m up at Portinscale, down to about 3h30m at Armboth. Not clear whether it's just the tracker down there or Sabrina herself, hopefully the former!
    Geoff Clarke

Looks like it might be over now (picked up from UKC):

From Steve Birkinshaw on FB: "Sabrina dropped off the fells at Armboth down to Thirlmere. The weather has been horrible and she was struggling breathing. Safety is the key thing and so in the end it was an easy decision for us to make. She might start again from Thirlmere if she can sort out her breathing."
    Geoff Clarke

That's a shame. Sounds like a sensible decision given the conditions.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Looks like it might be over now (picked up from UKC):

From Steve Birkinshaw on FB: "Sabrina dropped off the fells at Armboth down to Thirlmere. The weather has been horrible and she was struggling breathing. Safety is the key thing and so in the end it was an easy decision for us to make. She might start again from Thirlmere if she can sort out her breathing."
    I hadn't realised that she had asthma before watching the videos that Steve Ashworth has been producing each day of this attempt.

I suppose it is fairly normal for the Lake District to go from the best possible weather conditions to the worst possible conditions so quickly. I remember doing the Coniston race one year (same time of year) in snow showers with a westerly gale trying to blow us off the Swirl How / Old Man ridge, but the conditions yesterday looked far worse than even that.

It's a shame that it has ended like this, but she has certainly shown what is possible given the right conditions. I still can't understand how any human can cope with sleep deprivation so well.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I still can't understand how any human can cope with sleep deprivation so well.
    Seems like this is the crux of it: keep moving, avoid getting injured and don't sleep.
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I still can't understand how any human can cope with sleep deprivation so well.
    Sleep deprivation is something else an ultra runner needs to train for.

It is a shame Sabrina didn`t go a week earlier when the weather was more clement, but I figure she will be back
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Sleep deprivation is something else an ultra runner needs to train for.

It is a shame Sabrina didn`t go a week earlier when the weather was more clement, but I figure she will be back
    Having worked horrible shifts as a junior doctor - Friday 9 am to Monday 5 pm for example - now thankfully illegal - I think you learn what degree of sleep deprivation you can - and cannot - cope with, but I don't think you can train yourself to cope with more. You just become intimately aware of your limits. Some can clearly cope far better than others.

You are so right about the weather - it was absolutely perfect here for several weeks - if only .....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Having worked horrible shifts as a junior doctor - Friday 9 am to Monday 5 pm for example - now thankfully illegal - I think you learn what degree of sleep deprivation you can - and cannot - cope with, but I don't think you can train yourself to cope with more. You just become intimately aware of your limits. Some can clearly cope far better than others.

You are so right about the weather - it was absolutely perfect here for several weeks - if only .....
    Training for sleep deprivation involves a lot more than just literally depriving yourself of sleep,it is more about sleep accumulation etc.

some reading for you :- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5942705/

I do believe that I can and do train my sleep patterns along with my physical training and yes sleep monsters do exist
    Last edited by JohnK; 04-05-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Training for sleep deprivation involves a lot more than just literally depriving yourself of sleep,it is more about sleep accumulation etc.

some reading for you :- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5942705/

I do believe that I can and do train my sleep patterns along with my physical training and yes sleep monsters do exist
    An interesting article - thanks for the link.

I was assuming that, like tapering, good sleeping habits was a given in ultra long events. So sleep accumulation before the event, napping before and during it, avoiding stimulants and screens and so on.

The point I was trying to make is that repeated extreme sleep deprivation does not, as far as I know, improve the ability to tolerate it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    An interesting article - thanks for the link.

I was assuming that, like tapering, good sleeping habits was a given in ultra long events. So sleep accumulation before the event, napping before and during it, avoiding stimulants and screens and so on.

The point I was trying to make is that repeated extreme sleep deprivation does not, as far as I know, improve the ability to tolerate it.

But it is necessary to incorporate sleep deprivation in a controlled fashion into ultra training in order to train the brain and body in how to deal with it (well it is for me at least).

But at the end of the day the individual has to find what works best for them.

Well I hope Sabrina is resting up well and not to disappointed in fact given the amount of snow on the fells early this morning it was the best call she could have made well done to her.