Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabrina Verjee Wainwrights attempt

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Sabrina Verjee Wainwrights attempt

Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Fascinating to assess the route being taken. I'd been contemplating linking up all the northern fells in a day run and picking a good circular route seemed impossible. But it's absolutely nothing compared to this.

Some of the out-and-backs on her route look utterly soul-destroying, must take immense mental strength to keep going...

Super Moderator
    I think there might be a thread about doing Wainwright books in a day. iirc Splatcher, who I don’t think has posted for a while, might have been involved. Could be worth a search Travs
    Poacher turned game-keeper

She's run straight through the night, no stops at the road crossings so far. A mutual friend says she's 30 mins up on her schedule. She was 90mins up on Paul at Ennerdale last night (according to twitter).
    Not sleeping this early is a bold move, but the norm for stuff Sabs has done before i.e. the Spine. Will be interesting to see how her more adventure racing and ultra-trail background and approach compares to the previous holders who were more fell based. The Wainwrights round is in no-one's comfort zone, but Sabrina is a legitimate challenger.

A few little differences to previous routes. Scafell-Scafell pike - Lingmell being the main one I've noticed so far (Steve did Scafell - Lingmoor - Scafell pike. I think Paul did that as well)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Block running/riding is a fairly recent development in ultra distance events. The late Mike Hall did it when he set the record on the Tour Divide bike race. Basically ride for three days without break then have one good eight hour sleep. Repeat. Sofiane Sehili won the Atlas Mountain Race earlier this year doing this by riding the whole route without sleeping for four days.

I think it was Mike Cudahy on the Pennine Way who basically said he ran until he felt tired then no matter the time of day or night he lay down. When he woke up he set off again.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've just looked at the splits: she may have had a quick snooze in Wasdale, and maybe somewhere between Yewbarrow and Middle Fell.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    In the film about his Wainwrights record Paul looked absolutely shattered at one stage - no surprise - but managed to somehow come back to life and finish looking more or less normal. It is an amazingly tough undertaking - good luck to Sabrina. She used to occasionally attend a S+C class in Ambleside that I went to religiously - she was one of the few non regulars who could do everything that was asked of her.

Route variations.
    Had a look a bit closer. Rest Dodd and The Nab are being taken on after High Street/The Knott. Steve did these after hitting Martindale.

On a pretty brutal section at the moment... crossing of Mosedale to Hardknott, then shortly a trek out from Harter Fell to Green Crag, then the big climb up to Dow Crag... ouch!

I am however very disppointed she didn't straight-line Lank Rigg to Caw across the river and through the tussocks, instead choosing to keep to the ridgeline... she's obviously taking the easy option
    Last edited by Travs; 07-07-2020 at 05:26 PM.

So Sabs has stopped at the NDG at 3:45 this morning, 48:45h on the go. I sort of expected this as she owns the Langdale Bunkhouse there, so can get a shower and proper bed!