Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerry Charnley Way

Gerry Charnley Way

Does anyone have any information on this route, checkpoints, etc. of this circuit?

I know it visits 3 or 4 youth hostels in the Lakes including High Close, Eskdale, Borrowdale.

I think its 35 miles and 11,800 feet. I have around 14 hours for the fastest solo round.

Can anyone give me more info as I fancy a shot at it. It'll be like a half-BG, as there is no way I'm ever doing the full whack!

Ta.
    Why walk when you can run.

Master

Re: Gerry Charnley Way

It was planned by the South Ribble Orienteers, they may be able to provide more information.
    http://www.sroc.org/

I have the map, with the checkpoints on, somewhere. I think the record is 7 or 8 hours. A certain Billy Bland. I helped pace him on that one, back in the mid 80's. I will try and find my map.

Taken from 'Lakeland Trails' by Tony Wimbush :

Eskdale YH
    Slight Side
    Scafell
    Scafell Pike
    Esk Hause
    Glaramara
    Longthwaite YH
    Tray Dub bridge
    Thunacar Knott
    Blea Rigg
    High Close YH
    Lingmoor
    Pike O'Blisco
    Crinkle Crag
    Charnley Crag
    Lingcove Bridge
    Eskdale YH

36 miles 10000'

Cheers, Ali

Thanks.

I have managed to locate a map, from 1984! I have contacted SROC and await reply. The name Tony Wimbush rings a bell - doesn't/didn't he run for St Bedes AC outside Bradford?

The website said 14 hours for the record and 10 hours for a team! I thought that was a little slow... 8 hours sounds better!

I quite fancy it for a bit of training for the coming seasons long events - plus it seems do-able even at this time of year, provided you get an early dark start on a section you know well.

I was wondering where you'd got to Marrow - you'll have to explain the old aviator and forum name sometime though...

I assume that visiting the hostels was an important part of the challenge. I could be very tempted to cut out Longthwaite!

I aint planning on skipping the hostels. In fact I'm hoping to get some scran and a cup of tea at each of them!

You mean its not a purist unsupported attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    You mean its not a purist unsupported attempt?
    I guess not! I planned to run the route alone, but I presume taking on food along the way is classed as 'supported'. What if one was to leave food at strategic points and pick it up along the way...

Yesterday I completed this route.

Starting around 7am from Elterwater Youth Hostel, I visited Eskdale Youth Hostel then Borrowdale Hostel, High Close Hostel and back to Elterwater. It took me 10 hours and 47 minutes. The above list of checkpoints is not the full list; there are 23 checkpoints plus the three Hostels to visit.

I only had a previous schedule from someone's successful attempt back in 1986 to go on - Brian Jackson did it in 11 hours and 3 minutes.

It is a fantastic route and I got one of the best days of summer to do it in. I ran solo, supplementing provisions with some food at Eskdale Hostel and a Snickers and can of Coke at Borrowdale Hostel.

I can't believe it's not more popular, for BG training or just as a more 'do-able' traverse of some of the lakeland fells.