Thread: Waterproof fell shoes/socks

Waterproof fell shoes/socks

Hi all,

I don’t really want this to turn into a recommend me a shoe thread (I’m capable of choosing shoes for myself)but was thinking about being on the high fells in winter and wondered how people keep their feet warm for long jaunts out. I’ve always managed with wool socks but think my tootsies would freeze if I was out longer than 2hours. Do people generally go for a goretex shoe? A waterproof sock? Emollient fire cream? What are the recommendations for keeping feet warm when it’s really grim
    Last edited by matthew; 08-07-2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I mean embrocation cream not emollient

I've always used Sealskinz socks but I know a lot of people use Neoprene. Whichever you use you're unlikely to keep your feet dry, but they certainly keep them warmer, acting a bit like a wet suit.

Yeah I’m not bothered about wet feet. I’ve used sealskinz but always find they get so many holes in they are pointless and never seemed to fit very well. Neoprene seems a little extreme, doesn’t it crumple up under your sole?

Not very helpful, but i''ve never given it more than a moment's thought, and have always just carried on with same socks and shoes as any other time of year.

My theory is you've basically got to accept that your shoes (and subsequently your socks) are going to get immersed and drenched, so the likelihood is any insulating properties you might get from a thin pair of socks, is going to be pretty non-existent.

I've got through some pretty gnarly full days in winter (a full day tour of a big section of the Northern Fells, and the Marsden-Edale Trigger in temperatures well blow zero) and my feet haven't dropped off yet.

Would probably give it more consideration if I was to be out for up to 24hrs or longer during winter.

Maybe I'm just nesh! I find a couple hours of stomping through Cheviot bogs when they are slushy with ice and I begin to be a bit miserable.

I go with neoprene socks when its dark and cold and slushy underfoot. My feet still get cold but they stay significantly warmer than with normal socks. I get them from Rooster sailing. While searching for the link to the web shop I saw that someone has written a blog about the very socks I use:

https://fellrunningguide.co.uk/roost...e-sock-review/

As an aside, I've got used to running with numb feet, but I'm sure I can't be the only one to find the feeling when the blood comes back into the extremities excruciating. Don't know what the neighbours must think of the noise coming from my shower room in the winter.

Master
    Dexshell waterproof socks - the biggest kit discovery I have made in years - get the thick ones, as the thin ones are a bit too fragile. If it is really cold, I wear a thin pair of Injinji toe socks under them. I did try some Sealskin waterproof socks on in a shop, but they were not remotely foot shaped, so I did not buy them.

With Dexshells the waterproof lining will eventually start to leak, but even then you just get damp feet, rather than wet, and your feet remain warm.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Wool socks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Wool socks.
    I should have added - for me, in order of efficacy, it is 1/ Dexshell 2/ Drymax 3/ Smartwool. Drymax are not waterproof, but they have a water repellant layer. Injinji toe socks - the thin liner socks - go well under any sock at any time of year, though the Dexshells are extremely comfortable by themselves - wore them yesterday on Fairfield!

I use merino socks and usually don’t have a problem; like Travs said you are definitely going to get wet feet so embrace. I have Raynauds fairly badly so I am used to having numb hands and feet a lot (even summer sometimes!)

Mike’s suggestion is interesting though so I will be looking at them 😎