Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non sporting hobbies

Gardening, birding (a little), crosswords, learning the piano, panto once a year (oh no it isn't!), occasional guitaring, jam making.

I'm always on the look-out for new hobbies. Mrs Noel fancies wine making so we might give that a go.

I'd say reading but I think you need to read more than 4 books a year for that to be true, and we're covering that on another thread.

I'd say reading but I think you need to read more than 4 books a year for that to be true, and we're covering that on another thread.
    Yes, I get to put reading as a hobby! A bit of guitar, bit of climbing probably about all I have time for. I started learning French (adult classes/duo lingo) but find the motivation hard to keep up. I meditate once/twice a day but don’t think that counts as a hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Have you ever been involved actively in politics Witton?

Currently baking. Birdwatching since I was junior school age. Fishing on and off since similar age
    Back in 1999 I campaigned for a mates Mum who was standing for the Stacksteads ward in Rossendale. It lasted about 6 weeks.
    She was a Tory, she won. The first Tory to take the ward in 18 years.
    I never joined the party. But I attended some party meetings and it put me off.
    First couple of meetings a councillor was complaining about the huge amount of rubbish behind the baths in Bacup - you could call it an accumulation of manual fly-tipping.
    At a later meeting he complained about it being cleaned up - the council were accused of trying to buy votes for Labour
    I went to the count in the Astoria in Rawtenstall.
    It was all very interesting, but put me off joining in as a party member and hence I've just been an observer and independent commentator.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post

duo lingo
    I couldn't get into Duolingo with the Italian... For the very basics I used a Paul Noble book 'unlocking Italian' and this gave me a grasp of sentences coming together and basic vocabulary. Then I've bodged it a bit, with another couple of books and youtube videos.

I've found what helps for me is not worrying so much on learning random vocabulary for the sake of it (i.e Onion, Banana, Supermarket, Lion, etc)…. but learning the words that help you construct a sentence (i.e I/we/she/he/they/done/can/must/possible/where/when/this).

The vocab comes naturally after that. If you are studying and note a word that keeps coming up and you don't know it, then underline it, and go and look it up. Quickly builds up your range...

Watching films, reading, playing (mainly Japanese) video games, cold water swimming, wilderness and wildlife exploration (usually done on the run), photography, pretty much all things outdoors and wilderness related to be honest, campervanning, Nordic noire TV and the like, ancient history and more generally the history of warfare (reading and watching), keeping as fit as I can, eating healthily and trying my damnedess not to get injured

Tinkering with chainsaws, foraging for firewood, splitting logs, growing stuff in the polytunnel, playing guitar-learning finger style blues atm. Anything outside really, I have a range of sheds etc to hideout in. Bodging jobs, looking for free stuff. Building things from pallets. The list is endless!
    Last edited by neilly; 09-07-2020 at 11:59 PM.

[QUOTE=neilly;663773]Tinkering with chainsaws,

Tinkering and Chainsaws are not words that belong in the same sentence!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;663774]
    Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Tinkering with chainsaws,

Tinkering and Chainsaws are not words that belong in the same sentence!
    Tinkering as in repairing. You're absolutely right about chainsaws. Definitely deserve to be treated with the upmost respect.

I suppose it is the fishing and through the winter months the red squirrel conservation, plenty of other outdoor work to enjoy - mainly involving cutting down trees and splitting firewood, all done by axe or hammer and wedges, that is my gym work!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.