Thread: Things found whilst on a run

Things found whilst on a run

This week end we went to Buxton to visit my aged Mother in Law, as we are able to and she has been very bored during lockdown. So this morning I went for a run over to the Goyt Valley and along the top to Whalley Bridge and back up the East side passing round the back of White Hall. As I climbed the Roman road to get over to Long Hill I spied something in the grass at the side of the track. Further investigation revealed a hip flask - and even better it was loaded! A Ted Baker hipflask with pictures of cyclists decorating it. Checked what was in it and it was definatly spirits, but probably Jack Daniels or the like. I was knackered at this point having been out for 3 hrs with a bit of water, but no food. How a nip of spirits cheered me up and gave me legs to fly back to Buxton! Luckily I had a bum bag so could carry it home. All gone now! shame it was'nt an Islay Malt, but beggars can't be chosers. Bet the cyclist who dropped it is pissed off.
    Last edited by MattPo; 12-07-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Super Moderator
    Yes I am
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Yes I am
    Didn't see you in Derbyshire and any way you said you'd stopped drinking! I was only in the Peak to reaffirm Yorkshire as Godds Own ......

Only half empty cans of lager round here. At least I think it's lager☺

I'm Spartacus too

and a cyclist...

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Yes I am

A couple of years ago, one winter, while running from the top end of Seathwaite Tarn up to Goat's Hawse - I found one (undamaged!) orange climbing helmet, just lying on the top of a long snow drift. I'm guessing it probably blew off someone's pack while they were climbing Dow Crag or thereabouts and flew over the ridge and into the dale. I posted the find on the lost/found forum on ClimbingUK website but no takers.

Last year seemed to be one when folks discarded a wide range of their stuff, including: a Skagen wristwatch (dodgy clasp)between Little Dun Fell and Crossfell (again no takers); and on Yarlside in the Hows, I picked up a space pen (one of those that write while held upside down).

Now 'Fell Ponies" don't seem to be heard of - anyone wanting to start a "Wombles' informal fell running club?
    Last edited by Mossdog; 13-07-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    One Winter's day when I was running my route over Buck Hill and the Outwoods, there was a car parked near the gate where I entered the Outwoods, with a mother getting her two small daughters ready to get back in the car after their walk in the woods: taking off wellies and coats, etc. About 200 metres into the woods, I saw a pair of small, bright pink, woollen gloves lying on the path. I thought, "I know who they belong to", picked them up and ran back to the gate as fast as possible. Too late: the car had gone. I put the gloves prominently on the wall next to the gate, in the hope that the mother would go back to search for them when they were found to be missing. They were gone next time I ran that route.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

We find single gloves at the rate of about 1 every two weeks through the winter. If it's a good one we'll take it home to add to our odd gloves stash. Disappointingly it's normally right gloves that are dropped - I guess as people remove them to take photos etc.

Out on the wildest and remotest part of eastern Bleaklow a few weeks ago, found a pair of discarded (and obviously used) socks. Was rather surprised as it was an area barely anybody goes anyway, and even then i was well away from the nearest semblance of a path.

Funnily enough i didn't bother to pick them up.

In a similar area (the arse end of Kinder Scout) one January during the Trigger, found an expensive Silva Thumb Compass. Apologies if it was anybody's on here, but i still use it to this day

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

In a similar area (the arse end of Kinder Scout) one January during the Trigger, found an expensive Silva Thumb Compass. Apologies if it was anybody's on here, but i still use it to this day
    Not mine: my expensive Silva Thumb Compass is somewhere on the moors below Tal y Fan, at the northern end of the Carneddau range.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges