Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way FKT attempt

John's record might not last long! Damien Hall is having a crack too:

https://www.inov-8.com/blog/pennine-...2kdc1TLIty4KhI
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Impressive. I notice he's doing it carbon negative, picking up litter while simultaneously being an ambassador for a sports shoes company. That's some multi-tasking. Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Impressive. I notice he's doing it carbon negative, picking up litter while simultaneously being an ambassador for a sports shoes company. That's some multi-tasking. Good luck to him.
    like it Noel!

Damian Halll: not just a fell runner, but the saviour of the planet!. I trust he has forbidden anyone to travel by internal combustion engine power to support him on the route, and that all of his food and drink are carbon neutral, plastic free and made without use of pesticides.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    like it Noel!

Damian Halll: not just a fell runner, but the saviour of the planet!. I trust he has forbidden anyone to travel by internal combustion engine power to support him on the route, and that all of his food and drink are carbon neutral, plastic free and made without use of pesticides.
    OMG i've just read the inov8 blog and he REALLY IS BEING THAT WOKE! bow down, Damian HAll is going to save the planet while running a long way. what would we do without him?

Yeah all that rubbish about allowing for car journeys in his "carbon budget" is utter claptrap... it's obvious car journeys are required, i don't think anyone is going to criticise him for that and certainly doesn't need justifying...

I had a guy on facebook berate me for travelling from the midlands regularly for fell races, and suggested that there should be a geographical limit on participants. As if i would just be sitting at home doing nothing if i wasn't out on the fells... i'd probably be doing something else, probably more polluting...

I then looked him up and spotted he was from Harrogate and was entered in the Long Mynd Valleys race, the hypocritical bugger...
    Last edited by Travs; 21-07-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yeah all that rubbish about allowing for car journeys in his "carbon budget" is utter claptrap... it's obvious car journeys are required, i don't think anyone is going to criticise him for that and certainly doesn't need justifying...

I had a guy on facebook berate me for travelling from the midlands regularly for fell races, and suggested that there should be a geographical limit on participants. As if i would just be sitting at home doing nothing if i wasn't out on the fells... i'd probably be doing something else, probably more polluting...

I then looked him up and spotted he was from Harrogate and was entered in the Long Mynd Valleys race, the hypocritical bugger...
    Ah well, that's Harrogate for you!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

It's good to raise awareness but I do find some ways of doing it a bit wareing. But for some things one begets the other.

He seems to have been good to his word with bio-degradable packaging and fueling. Naturally support vehicles/supporters/film crew is a different kettle of fish.

Can we keep this thread to discussion of the attempt? You can trash having a cause, wokeness, climate emergency, Inov8's marketing department etc. in the 'down the pub section' where I refuse to venture nowadays.
    Last edited by ba-ba; 22-07-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Super Moderator
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I'm presuming North to South is easier, since he'll be going downhill all the way.

But seriously, it's probably harder since we normally get south-westerly winds. Fingers crossed for nothing more than a light breeze.

150m extra climb going N-S apparently, based on spot heights.

The main thing from a running perspective is stuff like steep downhill from Cross /Dun Fell into Dufton, instead of a nice gentle descent from High Cup Nick, and the gradient of rocky sections - e.g. the section around MiT, past the Forces and Cauldron Snout is (according the JK's blog) rough and rocky so I'd rather go up that than down it. Likewise I'd rather go up the S ascent of PyG rather than down it.

I'm not sure if anything like this evens out going N-S.

Getting over the rocky W edge of kinder after 2.5 days on the go could be fun, especially if it's nip-and-tuck on the record. The rock hopping is irritating enough on the HPM and Trigger (though memory may be clouded by snow and ice from those)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy