Thread: Glossop to Langsett Res route

Glossop to Langsett Res route

Looking for a bit of info - thinking of running from Glossop to Langsett resevoir. Thought about going up Doctors Gate and going North up to Bleaklow and up to Bleaklow Hill. Want to get to Slippery Stones at the head of the Derwent Valley and on up/down cut gate.

Not familiar with that bit between Bleaklow and Slippery Stones - whats the best way through? I am aware of the track to Featherbed moss but do not want to go too far North to Featherbed and then back South(ish) to slippery stones and then go back North along cut gate.

Its that bit across from Bleaklow to slippery stones which is a bit perplexing is there a 'better' way through? where you just head more East. Looked at going to Barrow Stones and down fair banks?

I'm sure you know more than me, as you would seem to be more local?

I ran that entire path from Bleaklow round Featherbed to Margery Hill a few weeks ago... If the weather is clear you shouldn't have an issue dropping off the path somewhere between Bleaklow Stones and Swains Head, into the River Derwent valley. If it's crap weather and viz, i'd seriously consider just staying on the path (i found once past Bleaklow Stones it was much easier to find the path on the ground... coming off Bleaklow Head i had a real job trying to trace it on the ground)..... and staying high until you turn down Cut Gate at Margery Hill.

I wonder why you want to go down to Slippery Stones? Is it simply a case of getting some additional up&down in...?

I'm sure you're aware that going off-piste round there needs serious consideration... it's unlikely to be easy going!

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 25-07-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Think you are right, looping sort of North and staying high sounds a better option. I think there are paths to take you a more Eastly route. But I was on Black Hill above Holmfirth the other night and it was fairly wet underfoot! slogging through loads of that on semi good paths on a longer run is not too appealing. Kind of like walking through glue. Thanks for the heads up. Newish to running, so local but have not sussed that bit of area out yet.

East of Bleaklow (in fact nearly all of Bleaklow) you have the peat drainage channels (groughs) which either dictate your direction, or you need to climb in and out of them.

It is incredibly difficult to maintain a straight course. I found that until i had the path safely underfoot, i was getting dragged south by the terrain as i tried to maintain an easterly course off Bleaklow.

As i say, by the time you get past Bleaklow Stones the path is easier to follow and the terrain has eased up somewhat... but it is still likely to be incredibly wet off the path. Further round towards Outer Edge i was up to my chest in a bog, and fortunately able to free myself... if you're a long way off the path, alone, and get stuck or immobilised by injury, i wouldn't bank on being discovered or rescued any time soon. In fact once east of Bleaklow Head you'll be lucky to see anybody at all, path or not!

For the extra bit of distance to loop around on the path and pick up Cut Gate at Margery Hill, you are saving masses of time which you would lose through being off the path, not to mention the re-ascent out of Derwent Valley/Slippery Stones.

I did the ascent of Fair Banks to Barrow Stones recently and it would be a nice descent, that way you get to run down the valley bottom path (which is beautiful) to Slippery Stones - definitely the way I'd go.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

My preferred route would be to head from Bleaklow Stones to Grinah Stones. I would then head down lower small clough and then down the footpath in the valley to slippery stones. I have not run that way in a couple of months, but I find it quite a straight forward way across.

also, if you want a different route up to Bleaklow
    you could do Cock Hill (great views), swing past Glossop Low to Torside Castle (amazing feature), then don't cross clough with Pennine Way but stay on right of right-hand fork, then bending east to Wain Stones.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run