Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby boomer payback

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Agree, but its a vain hope. You will be far more likely to keep those things up if you are identified as a vulnerable group. Stats are a multi-edged weapon. I prefer to stick to big, simple numbers. In the first wave, the stats show that most deaths occurred in the over 80s or those with other problems. Risk of death lessened with age and became largely irrelevant under 45. Play to the big numbers for the best result.
    I hope you aren't suggesting mandating this.

I'm all for suggesting to certain groups deemed more at risk, but if you mandate due to the risk of Covid, then what else are you going to mandate and for who?

I'm all for getting things moving, outlining the issues and allowing everyone to make their own personal risk assessment.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Just imagine if we took this approach for other areas e.g. rather than addressing knife crime, make everyone wear a stab vest.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Super Moderator
    Snowflake

Someone needs to get hold of this and very soon. What’s Nigel Farridge up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I hope you aren't suggesting mandating this.

I'm all for suggesting to certain groups deemed more at risk, but if you mandate due to the risk of Covid, then what else are you going to mandate and for who?

I'm all for getting things moving, outlining the issues and allowing everyone to make their own personal risk assessment.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I am totally suggesting mandating this. Covid is a special situation, like a declaration of war. We need to get a grip of both infection control and economic survival. Tell me a better way!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Just imagine if we took this approach for other areas e.g. rather than addressing knife crime, make everyone wear a stab vest.
    But we do that already in many many areas of life - speed limits are an example. If everyone drove responsibly and could be trusted to choose an appropriate speed for the conditions and situation there would be no need for limits. But people won't, so limits are set. Perhaps an example more pertinent to us is the suspension of access rights around Loch Lomond, so responsible wild campers are restricted due to the actions of clueless idiots.
    I'm not suggesting that's the right approach, I'd rather the irresponsible wild campers were dealt with properly and the rest of us allowed to get on with what we choose to do - but that's apparently too hard so the easy option is to ban everybody.
    Last edited by Mark G; 04-08-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Master
    I am totally suggesting mandating this. Covid is a special situation, like a declaration of war. We need to get a grip of both infection control and economic survival. Tell me a better way!

Get on with life and stop wasting time and resources speculating on the unknown, after all as clever as we think we are we can not yet stop folk dying no matter what demographic group they fall into.

A much better way forward i.m.o
    The older I get the Faster I was

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    But we do that already in many many areas of life - speed limits are an example. If everyone drove responsibly and could be trusted to choose an appropriate speed for the conditions and situation there would be no need for limits. But people won't, so limits are set. Perhaps an example more pertinent to us is the suspension of access rights around Loch Lomond, so responsible wild campers are restricted due to the actions of clueless idiots.
    Natural selection on the speed limits. Build more walls and plant more trees.
    Its never the driver's fault though.

Can't agree.

It's on a scale arguably slightly worse than flu.

The figures for Rossendale which is on the Northern hit list are 6 cases per 100,000.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Sadly, or not, the world (and it’s a global problem) is bigger than Rossendale
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Natural selection on the speed limits. Build more walls and plant more trees.
    Its never the driver's fault though.
    The problem is with the natural selection argument that nine times out of ten the idiot takes out some other poor sod driving (or cycling) quite sensibly.