Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby boomer payback

Baby boomer payback

Call it karma or whatever but the payback for being in the privileged "babyboom" generation is now starkly clear. Over 95% of those dying of covid 19 belong to that generation. So to save the economy and keep death rate down the answer is simple. Apply isolating principles to the boomers and let the rest of society get back to normal. For families living in multigenerational homes they will have to work it out for themselves.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    What years were the baby boom please?

I would go with that but expect the younger generation to play their part in reducing the spread of the virus by still observing the rules, whatever they were, such as distancing, no mass gatherings etc.

I have little confidence in that happening, they would just be happy we were locked away and unable to spend their inheritance.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

What years were the baby boom please?

The generation is generally defined as people born from 1946 and 1964, during the post–World War II baby boom.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    The generation is generally defined as people born from 1946 and 1964, during the post–World War II baby boom.
    Bugger. I'm under threat. 1962

Oh well. Better enjoy my remaining time by spending and yar-ho-ing.

Super Moderator
    Wheeze the pandemic is a global problem. Is your suggested simple answer intended for the whole world?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned
    Born in 62.
    First House in 88. Paid £12500 small end terraced. Predicted repayment were 36k

Banned
    oh and it was endowment which I was sold and I had to pay almost 4k at the end.

Claim for wrongful selling dismissed due to lack of evidence. Building society changed hands 3 or 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I do dislike the term 'privileged "babyboom" generation', as it is offensive to those people who were born in 1961-64 who didn't get the privileges. Those who were born in these years left school/college/university into a world of high unemployment, where whole industries were going down the drain, company pensions were no longer there and houses were no longer cheap. When I bought my first house, in 1990, it cost exactly 6 times my salary (after a drop of 20 percent from its 1989 value) and the mortgage rate was 16.5 percent; hardly privileged

Dave Mole is correct in pointing out the babyboom years, but it should be pointed out that those who were born in 1950 had somewhat different privileges to those born in 1961-64
    I'd say the whole concept of Babyboomer privilege is flawed.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Call it karma or whatever but the payback for being in the privileged "babyboom" generation .
    And the privilege of being the first human generation to live under the perpetual cloud (any moment now) of complete global nuclear annihilation, and worse, the first surges of global social media . Actually, Karma suggests cause and effect, and thereby blame. So called baby-boomers simply played the cards they were dealt, like every other human generation, so little responsibility or blame there. If there's any culpability it's having spawned an overly pampered and expansive sense of entitlement in some of their kids (in Western/First World democracies).
    Am Yisrael Chai