Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Baby boomer payback

Yeap, massive, exponential growth rate of the human population since the industrial revolution, with everyone (naturally wanting all mod. cons and an addiction to consumerism, seems to be the root of the problem (density of plastics in the oceans; pollution; etc.).

Apparently, https://www.worldometers.info/world-...on/#pastfuture

"A tremendous change occurred with the industrial revolution: whereas it had taken all of human history until around 1800 for world population to reach one billion, the second billion was achieved in only 130 years (1930), the third billion in 30 years (1960), the fourth billion in 15 years (1974), and the fifth billion in only 13 years (1987).

During the 20th century alone, the population in the world has grown from 1.65 billion to 6 billion.
    In 1970, there were roughly half as many people in the world as there are now."

However...

"Because of declining growth rates, it will now take over 200 years to double again." Well that's alright then.

No worries. A nuclear winter will sort it all out and put us back to normal again. I'm hording turnips and worked flints already.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I once went to a barbecue and when someone was asked if he wanted salad, he replied "vegetables are what food eats!"

I don't say this often, but I agree with WP: too many humans are the problem. If there were only 500 million of us, we could probably eat steaks and drive cars without too many problems.

Is this why you're pushing to get rid of lock-down WP? Doing your bit for Mother Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I once went to a barbecue and when someone was asked if he wanted salad, he replied "vegetables are what food eats!"

I don't say this often, but I agree with WP: too many humans are the problem. If there were only 500 million of us, we could probably eat steaks and drive cars without too many problems.

Is this why you're pushing to get rid of lock-down WP? Doing your bit for Mother Earth?
    I'm pushing to get rid of lockdown measures because I believe they are harming more people than they help.

I wonder what the R rate for the human race would be. If we could keep it below 1 for a while I think it would help Mother Earth.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    The R is just smoke and mirrors.

Keeps people occupied but only with figures from a proven untrustworthy sauce.

Might as well ask the Chinese, Russians or illegal migration lot for a number.

Banned
    The watchdog says corruption "permeates all levels of society" in Lebanon, with political parties, parliament and the police perceived as "the most corrupt institutions of the country".

Appears to be same all over the world

I love the challenge posed by Johnk. As a self confessed petrolhead I quite agree that I'm the last person to start banging on about "the planet". The discussion does then go onto the real underlying problem...too many humans! So what to do? Let mother nature have her way and let covid 19 do its worst/best?? Part of me says "yes". The doctor part of me gets a bit ...umm...conflicted!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I love the challenge posed by Johnk. As a self confessed petrolhead I quite agree that I'm the last person to start banging on about "the planet". The discussion does then go onto the real underlying problem...too many humans! So what to do? Let mother nature have her way and let covid 19 do its worst/best?? Part of me says "yes". The doctor part of me gets a bit ...umm...conflicted!
    Good balanced opinion Wheeze.

Having no issues with choice of food its the coping of names in the veggie world.

A sausage has meat as does a burger.

My only question is why copy a name of a product but produce it totally differently.

Have a lovely evening Wheeze

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Mother Nature will have it`s way ultimately, its called `EVOLUTION` and the human race are a long way short of realising that they need to work with nature or face extinction, as nature will not allow the destruction of the planet.

It probably will not be covid that wipes us out, it will most likely be one or more of the 4 basic elements of nature i.e. earth, water, air, fire, that ultimately wipes us out, after all we steadily screwing each one of them up.
    Last edited by JohnK; 08-08-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Mother Nature will have it`s way ultimately, its called `EVOLUTION` and the human race are a long way short of realising that they need to work with nature or face extinction, as nature will not allow the destruction of the planet.

It probably will not be covid that wipes us out, it will most likely be one or more of the 4 basic elements of nature i.e. earth, water, air, fire, that ultimately wipes us out, after all we steadily screwing each one of them up.
    If we stopped paying people to breed it might help (tin hat at the ready)
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    ^ interesting post John. Very thought provoking
    Poacher turned game-keeper