Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby boomer payback

Whilst i'm not knocking Wheeze's assessment of the age-profile in relation to Corona... i've always struggled to understand the 'privilege' slant on those age groups.

My mum was born in 1953, one of 6 kids, in a desperately poor family.

My dad was born (at home) in 1949, "asked to leave" school at 15, lived in one of the first major areas of Cov to have a huge influx of immigration (by nature these are usually poor areas).

Obviously they are individual circumstances, but i feel far more privileged myself (although i hardly grew up in an affluent area).

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Whilst i'm not knocking Wheeze's assessment of the age-profile in relation to Corona... i've always struggled to understand the 'privilege' slant on those age groups.

My mum was born in 1953, one of 6 kids, in a desperately poor family.

My dad was born (at home) in 1949, "asked to leave" school at 15, lived in one of the first major areas of Cov to have a huge influx of immigration (by nature these are usually poor areas).

Obviously they are individual circumstances, but i feel far more privileged myself (although i hardly grew up in an affluent area).
    Bet you Dad enjoyed his gap year, starting work at the age of 22, skiing holidays, paternity leave.....
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

my dad spent four years shortly after i was born, working all day, then attending night school, to gain some further qualifications to aid his career.

My mum always amused me with tales of their annual holiday to Dyffryn Ardudwy (on the years they could afford to go).... Took best part of a day to get there... my grandad, a chain-smoking, ex mining, ex navy, ex bare-knuckle boxer, would stop at least once an hour for a smoke and a cup of tea on the deckchair. The first pit-stop would be barely outside Coventry. Coupled with a badly maintained car, some of the journeys to the Welsh coast were absolute epics!

I remember going on holiday with my grandparents to Abergele when i was very young. Abiding memories are the car breaking down and being stuck on the side of the road for hours... then on reaching our destination it absolutely p***ing it down for about 4 days before they decided to go home a few days early.

It's quite a wonder that i'm such a fan of Wales after a childhood of getting drenched all round the Welsh coast!

You can't keep the young uns locked down. It's not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Wheeze the pandemic is a global problem. Is your suggested simple answer intended for the whole world?
    Not every country has a babyboom generation as well defined as the western world. But the principle of shielding the older generation and letting the younger generation get on with saving economies is a generalisable proposition.

Banned
    But the principle of shielding the older generation and letting the younger generation get on with saving economies is a generalisable proposition.[/QUOTE]

Now that would be interesting.

The good uns who have been brought up well are far out numbered by dossers.

It has been suggested that the Government is considering introducing shielding for people 50 and over this Autumn and Winter. This would apply to people merely overweight, not just obese. I suspect a majority of people over 50 fall into that category.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rogramme-over/

As somebody who turns 50 in less than two weeks, and with a BMI of 26, maybe I need to consider upping the training!

Super Moderator
    Maybe consider stopping looking at the Telegraph instead?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Maybe consider stopping looking at the Telegraph instead?
    Will that make me slimmer?

Super Moderator
    And younger
    Poacher turned game-keeper