Thread: Munro 24h record

Munro 24h record

Alexander (Sasha) Chepelin (Carnethy) set a new Munro 24h record at the weekend.
    Not found much info, but it appears he extended Jim Mann's 2017 Cairngorm round from 30 to 32 in 23h10min. I'm afraid I don't know much about Jim's route or Sasha's additions!

Given Sasha won the Carnethy 5 race in Feb and wa 3rd at the welsh champs race in March, it goes to show that good runners are good over any distance! At 22/23 there's a lot Sasha can do - he's an excellent orienteer and a damn fine fell runner.

It appears his Carnethy teammate Ali Masson was running with him and appeared the strongest until a hamstring called his day.

There's a good group of younguns in Edinburgh at the moment, stemming from EUOC and Edinburgh Hare and Hounds. It'll be interesting to see what they can get up to in the next few years/decades.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

SHR piece:
    "The most Munros in 24hrs has been a long standing challenge with the right route at the right time, with the right talent being critical for success. Based on Jim Mann’s route from last year around the Glenshee hills and the Cairngorms, but in reverse order and with a few variations, Alexander (Sasha) Chepelin and Ali Masson (both Carnethy) set off at 1030am last weekend. Ali, after a tremendous effort, unfortunately had to stop with injury with 6 hours left had to stop short due to injury, but Sasha continued for a record haul of 32 munros in 23hrs 10 mins, his longest run yet at around 155km. That was 2 more than Jim's old record."

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Alexander (Sasha) Chepelin (Carnethy) set a new Munro 24h record at the weekend.
    Not found much info, but it appears he extended Jim Mann's 2017 Cairngorm round from 30 to 32 in 23h10min. I'm afraid I don't know much about Jim's route or Sasha's additions!

Given Sasha won the Carnethy 5 race in Feb and wa 3rd at the welsh champs race in March, it goes to show that good runners are good over any distance! At 22/23 there's a lot Sasha can do - he's an excellent orienteer and a damn fine fell runner.

It appears his Carnethy teammate Ali Masson was running with him and appeared the strongest until a hamstring called his day.

There's a good group of younguns in Edinburgh at the moment, stemming from EUOC and Edinburgh Hare and Hounds. It'll be interesting to see what they can get up to in the next few years/decades.

I know one of the young lads at Edinburgh, in fact he's eligible for Warwickshire for the inter-counties... a little bit of hill-race experience, but a very good runner anyway (sub 14:30 for 5km)

The fact that he tells me he often gets left behind by the rest of his training group is somewhat scary!

Just on Sasha at the Welsh Champs race in March... i think it must have been a different race... i was at that (one of my clubmates won) and i don't recall his name...

the welsh British championship race, Yr Aran, 14th MArch.

Ahh yes... Sorry I thought you meant the WFRA Champs!

I heard that the 2 he added were ben avon and beinn a bhuird. Think he did those first, then effectively reversed Jim Mann's route

Record gone again, Kim Collison did 33 yesterday.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5571470389