Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: e-bike

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Earlier this evening whilst sat outside the Lathkil Hotel in the sunshine, enjoying a Farmers Blonde a couple of blokes pulled up on their bikes and leaned them against a wall some distance away, before coming to sit at the next table.
    I immediately recognised them as Matthew Parris and his "husband" who live in a nearby village. We exchanged pleasantries and continued to enjoy the evening sunshine.

After less that an hour they walked back to their bikes and as they cycled past us I realised that they were on E-bikes. I shouted "hey Matthew that's cheating" to which he replied "I know" and off they went.
    I then walked across to the bar and found a glove on the road, so I picked it up and put it in my pocket.
    About 5 mins later I was walking out of the pub with my pint and saw Matthew's other half come around the corner on his bike.

I just stood on the side of the road and held out the glove like a soigneur holding a bidon and he grabbed it, without stopping, giving a cheery thanks as he went.

I would not be surprised if this little incident makes it into Parris's Times column, as trivial local village happenings have previously.
    I'm surprised Matthew Parris needs an E-bike. He once ran the London Marathon in 2:32. Mind you that was 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Here you go Travs a Dawes Galaxy listed 400 notes and another for £275 plus others :-

https://www.resurrectionbikes.org.uk...ry/mens-bikes/

Resurrection bikes depot would be an easy diversion on your way home from the Lakes
    John thank you very much that is fantastic... I'll take a proper look at their website and expect I'll pay them a visit at some point...

He's certainly seen plenty of fell runners now as the official starter and presenter of prizes at the Gt Longstone fell race.
    Last edited by bigfella; 14-09-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    He's certainly seen plenty of fell runners now as the official starter and presenter of prizes at the Gt Longstone fell race.
    I recall that 3 or 4 years ago at the start, which is followed by a lap of the sports field, he was stood in the wrong place and nearly got flattened by 300 odd runners.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Dawes bikes seem to get a fairly good rep on here... anyone able to give an opinion on a Dawes Discovery (301)....?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The bit that I'm not sure about is that it's a hybrid; that is half way between a mountain bike and a road bike. The handlebars are straight and only offer one position. This could be a problem on longer rides as you can't change your hand position (you could get numb hands/fingers). You also can't get low, like you could on a road bike, if you want to go downhill fast. You might say that you'd never do that, but as a fell runner you will want to challenge yourself downhill at some stage!
    Although I used to ride bikes quite a lot when I was younger, I never really knew much about the different makes and models - mine used to be whatever I could get for as little money as possible second-hand, with much swapping of parts from one to another. And I stopped years ago. I was thinking about doing some more recently (going back to my youth, and all that), and someone gave me a hybrid sort of thing, with straight handlebars, that was surplus to requirements for them. I've ridden that a few times since but never very far (an hour or so at a time). Although I've enjoyed the rides, I do find I miss the 'drop' handlebars, particularly when I'm in the mood to really blast it! If I do ever buy myself one again, I wouldn't go for straight handlebars.

If you are going to get something with hydraulic discs bear in mind whether or not you are confident to maintain or service them, or prepared to pay a bike shop. I've never had hydraulic and although I understand they are very good I have cable discs on my touring bike and MTB, both of which are excellent and simpler to maintain.

Main reason I highlighted that bike is there is a strong possibility of a much reduced price (ie Zero!), and given I'm not necessarily looking for high performance, it seems like it might be more than adequate...

Done a couple of short rides on it into town, can easily get to 20mph+ on the flat without too much fuss, which is plenty for me.

Thank you Marco, that is very much appreciated... however, without going too heavily into details, i wouldn't actually plan to use it too often around here... it's the strong potential for a change of location that has got me looking into matters of this nature.

Beltin' piece of kit - Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon Evo - my recovery machine

E-Bike Gum
    by Andy Holden, on Flickr