Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
I was unlocking my bike, dressed in all the gear, from a bike rack when I noticed next to it a huge ebike: Bosch motor, lights, mudgards, pannier rack - built like a tank. I was just looking when a young man of around 17 arrived. I hadn't said a word when he sheepishly said "Yes. I am afraid it is my bike".

I might have said "And why?" or something and he basically outlined all the above saying that on it he could see far more of the countryside than he ever would if he was having to pedal. That it could surge up some of the very steep climbs in Ilkley (when I might be on 34/29). All of which is undoubtedly true.

He was friendly, articulate, well-spoken, well-dressed, polite (he complimented me on my Bianchi!) and we chatted for a few minutes.

I asked who had paid for the bike (thinking it might be some eccentric rich uncle) and he said that he had (did I mention that he looked comfortably off?)

So...it was all very interesting. I have talked with e-bike owners before of course, but never one young enough to be my (great?) grandson.

And today 40 miles (2400 feet) through Harrogate. Harrogate believes it's posh but with beer at £1.99 a pint - not that posh.
Yes i did also feel a bit like an imposter cycling round the Lake District and passing loads of people on traditional bikes. But at the end of the day i'm usually cycling somewhere to go off on a whacking great training run, so i soon lost the feelings of "guilt"...!