Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: e-bike

Thank you both for your comments... and i can assure you that living in the West Midlands, i am well aware of the potential for crime and theft, and it is something i've already given a lot of thought to...

However, i don't walk the streets of Coventry paranoid about crime and letting it affect what i want to do (although people could well be forgiven for doing so), and so i don't intend to in the Lakes either.

I'd prefer to rely on the fact that if i lock a bike securely, in view, around the environs of a fell race, there are enough decent people about that i'm unlikely to encounter too many issues. I'd imagine there aren't too many people hanging around fell races with angle-grinders and the like.

Of course, it will be insured should the worst happen, and if i do encounter issues then i will have to re-think things.... and of course i'll report it on here and you can tell me "i told you so....!"

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thank you both for your comments... and i can assure you that living in the West Midlands, i am well aware of the potential for crime and theft, and it is something i've already given a lot of thought to...

However, i don't walk the streets of Coventry paranoid about crime and letting it affect what i want to do (although people could well be forgiven for doing so), and so i don't intend to in the Lakes either.

I'd prefer to rely on the fact that if i lock a bike securely, in view, around the environs of a fell race, there are enough decent people about that i'm unlikely to encounter too many issues. I'd imagine there aren't too many people hanging around fell races with angle-grinders and the like.

Of course, it will be insured should the worst happen, and if i do encounter issues then i will have to re-think things.... and of course i'll report it on here and you can tell me "i told you so....!"
    Yes you are never too far away from some scumbag with an angle grinder, especially in Brum. I alway secure my bike at work with 2 gold standard D locks. We've had a few taken even though the bikes are in a private underground carpark with CCTV.

I think you'd be fine with similar locks and leaving it in sight of the race finish marshalls in the Lakes. It's hardly a hot bed of crime. You are always most welcome to leave it in my van if I'm there though you will of course have a long wait after you finish for me to turn up with the key!

I'm with you Travs.

I find that it is sometimes safer to hide one's bike behind a drystone wall or hedge rather than lock it somewhere in view.

You must also remember that you will also have extra kit to secure, cycling shoes/trainers and extra clothing as I wouldn't have thought you will be flying down the A66 in your Godiva vest and Scott RC's!

I suppose a rucsac of kit could be put in someone's car, as suggested by Marco, or left in a village hall.

Having said all that I wouldn't leave my best bike behind a wall or hedge or even locked up anywhere. It doesn't leave my sight!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 20-03-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm with you Travs.

I find that it is sometimes safer to hide one's bike behind a drystone wall or hedge rather than lock it somewhere in view.

You must also remember that you will also have extra kit to secure, cycling shoes/trainers and extra clothing as I wouldn't have thought you will be flying down the A66 in your Godiva vest and Scott RC's!

I suppose a rucsac of kit could be put in someone's car, as suggested by Marco, or left in a village hall.

Having said all that I wouldn't leave my best bike behind a wall or hedge or even locked up anywhere. It doesn't leave my sight!
    Watch this space

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have considerable experience of leaving bikes at fell race venues (sometimes with no more security than locking the rear wheel to the frame), and I can't recall ever having any problems. But then, would any potential thief look past the mud and chipped paintwork to realise that there is actually quite a good quality bike underneath? Have the blokes with angle grinders ever heard of Hetchins or George Longstaff?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    from 2013:-
    https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...es-worth-20000

That is just one example and the pickings are far greater now 8 years down the line. For my part I am not paranoid I just live in the lakes and have learned not to let my guard down and keep any of my possessions in sight including my dog now

In the words of Marilyn Monroe :-

We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
    - Marilyn Monroe
    Last edited by JohnK; 20-03-2021 at 10:39 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I've a cheap basic mountain bike that I don't mind leaving locked up somewhere (a couple of days ago it was chained to a signpost in Swindale) but I'm reluctant to do that with my better bikes - if I take one of them to a race they usually end up locked up somewhere very visible to the race community but away from where 'ordinary' members of the public might stray. But it's much easier and pleasanter to ride my touring bike with panniers containing kit to a race than to slog there on an MTB with a rucksack.

I purchased a Scott ebike today. Had been tempted by the sexiness of the Bianchi Aria and Impulso ebikes, but went with practicality over looks in the end...

the Scott hybrid bike having a far bigger battery, more powerful motor, and being already fitted with standard necessities for me such as full mudguards, lights and a storage rack.

My new bike turned up today... was all excited to get on it, whack it on turbo, and probably crash it on the first corner...

But they sent the wrong bike, so back its gone and i'll have to wait until Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Has it arrived yet?
    Not yet... it is "on the way".... i was expecting today or tomorrow, so fingers crossed for tomorrow.