Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: e-bike

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I was unlocking my bike, dressed in all the gear, from a bike rack when I noticed next to it a huge ebike: Bosch motor, lights, mudgards, pannier rack - built like a tank. I was just looking when a young man of around 17 arrived. I hadn't said a word when he sheepishly said "Yes. I am afraid it is my bike".

I might have said "And why?" or something and he basically outlined all the above saying that on it he could see far more of the countryside than he ever would if he was having to pedal. That it could surge up some of the very steep climbs in Ilkley (when I might be on 34/29). All of which is undoubtedly true.

He was friendly, articulate, well-spoken, well-dressed, polite (he complimented me on my Bianchi!) and we chatted for a few minutes.

I asked who had paid for the bike (thinking it might be some eccentric rich uncle) and he said that he had (did I mention that he looked comfortably off?)

So...it was all very interesting. I have talked with e-bike owners before of course, but never one young enough to be my (great?) grandson.

And today 40 miles (2400 feet) through Harrogate. Harrogate believes it's posh but with beer at 1.99 a pint - not that posh.
    Yes i did also feel a bit like an imposter cycling round the Lake District and passing loads of people on traditional bikes. But at the end of the day i'm usually cycling somewhere to go off on a whacking great training run, so i soon lost the feelings of "guilt"...!

Master
    If you have a good redundant bike knocking about in the shed there is no need to spend 3 grand, just convert it yourself :-

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thr...ld-tips.37248/

https://edrivenet.com/tongsheng-tsdz2-review/

Loads of info on the net if interested and the Tongsheng TSDZ2 is the motor of choice if you can find one have fun
    Last edited by JohnK; 03-08-2021 at 09:10 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes i did also feel a bit like an imposter cycling round the Lake District and passing loads of people on traditional bikes. But at the end of the day i'm usually cycling somewhere to go off on a whacking great training run, so i soon lost the feelings of "guilt"...!
    And using an e-bike is probably more sensible than my 27 miles of cycling the day before the Arenig Fawr race, and 8 hilly miles on the morning of the race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

... indeed no need to feel any guilt, you are using it as a mode of transport, would you feel guilt if you politely past a cyclist giving them a wide berth in a car? Your use of an electric bike to get around is more environmentally friendly than an electric car too.
    I was wondering if those in power should push electric bikes for city transport rather than electric cars. Less congestion, less energy use etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    ... indeed no need to feel any guilt, you are using it as a mode of transport, would you feel guilt if you politely past a cyclist giving them a wide berth in a car? Your use of an electric bike to get around is more environmentally friendly than an electric car too.
    I was wondering if those in power should push electric bikes for city transport rather than electric cars. Less congestion, less energy use etc etc.
    PiesAreGood beat me to it, as I was getting soaked on my manual bike, but if you are using an e-bike for transport then it's one less car on the road which is good for everyone and should be commended

I also agree with PiesAreGood about urban transport; I don't think replacing petrol cars with electric cars solves much, if anything, certainly not congestion. Electric scooters, bikes and mopeds makes a lot more sense. Quite how long it takes those in power to see sense remains to be seen, but I'm not holding my breath