Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

A white elephant.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A white elephant.
    You beat me to it
    The older I get the Faster I was

So, should I (in theory) find myself somewhere quite hilly, and heavily relying on cycle travel... And wanted to spend perhaps up to 500 quid on a bike...

Am I better off getting a traditional road bike for that money, or a cheap/used e-bike? (I have no idea if they are available at that price).

Bear in mind I'd have absolutely no desire to become or remain a "pure" cyclist... It would simply be whatever is most convenient to transport myself reasonable distances (perhaps up to 30 or 40 miles)...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    So, should I (in theory) find myself somewhere quite hilly, and heavily relying on cycle travel... And wanted to spend perhaps up to 500 quid on a bike...

Am I better off getting a traditional road bike for that money, or a cheap/used e-bike? (I have no idea if they are available at that price).

Bear in mind I'd have absolutely no desire to become or remain a "pure" cyclist... It would simply be whatever is most convenient to transport myself reasonable distances (perhaps up to 30 or 40 miles)...
    If you are only looking at 30-40 miles then I would stick to shanks pony.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

If, (in theory), you do not want to get up those hills under your own steam you might as well go the whole hog and get a Bultaco or Maico trails bike. But, (in practice), we all know you are an under your own steam man, Travs.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Trails bike? These are all new terms to me...!

I'm actually referring to getting about on roads, rather than trails...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I think Llani meant trials.

Anyway, I'm sure someone as fit as you could easily manage 30 or 40 miles on a bike without electric assistance. I guess the question then is how often and how fast you would like to do it?

Possibly weekly... If I could average around 15mph I'd be content... Which I know I can do on the flat without much undue trouble...

It does seem that a reasonsble road bike would possibly be the better option.

If you want to use it for essential journeys (as opposed to riding for fun and fitness) you might want to consider something you can fit mudguards and a pannier rack to. Makes a big difference when you have to set off on a cold dark wet morning and carrying a rucksack on a bike is a pain.