Thread: Higham Hill Race

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Higham Hill Race

First midweek evening race of the year? But a 6:30pm start on 22 March (before the clocks go forward) makes me think a head torch might be useful, even though it's only 6.1km with 158m of climbing.

Race HQ at The Greyhound in Higham, between Alfreton and Clay Cross. Higham is on a ridge above the Amber valley; the race is two loops, each involving a descent to the Amber valley and a climb back up; so there's an uphill finish. Some road, some track, some muddy footpath. A bit of searching reveals that the race has been run twice before (2018/19), with the first two places on each occasion taken by Dan Howarth and Harry Holmes; so it's obviously a classy event.

Not sure if I'm going, but here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/events/8854...tab=discussion
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Thanks for the heads up AK.

I did the inaugural event in 2018 finishing 1st M50 at 59, so not the most competitive field!

A nice little 4 miles evening race which is more XC than trail with around half a mile of tarmac. As you say AK, two different loops of which in total, around a mile is either up or down and the rest flat with some nice grassy running.

It would be good to see you there.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I see you made it last night Anthony as I saw a photo of you, No 307, on Matlock AC FB page. You don't have to be a member of Matlock or FB to view.

I notice you were wearing a headtorch. Did you need to use it?

I didn't attend but did a steady 6 miler locally as I'm keeping my calf in cotton wool for RAS Yr Aran on Saturday.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Ultra runners are used to day-night races; but who ever heard of a 4-mile day-night race? Steve Monaghan, the RO, hadn't noticed when he set the date for this year's race that it was before the clocks go forward (whereas in previous years the race has been on the Tuesday after the clocks go forward). Anyway, it was my first experience of running with a head torch; although I have yet to experience running with a head torch switched on.

I arrived at the venue early, and went for a walk round the second loop of the figure-of-eight course, to familiarise myself with what I would have to run over in the dark. Just after 6:15 the RO ushered everyone out of the pub, and got the race started about 5 minutes early. It was fairly gloomy on that second loop, but I could see just enough to run safely, and for part of the way I had someone with a powerful headtorch just behind me, providing some useful light.

I felt quite good (but the results haven't come out yet). I passed six people going up the hill the first time; three of them then passed me on the road, and I only got one back on the second uphill. I was a bit surprised at how slow people around me were going up and down the steps on the two footbridges over the railway.

Back at The Greyhound, I noticed while I was waiting for my lasagne that they were very many bowls of cheesy chips being brought out. Is this a Derbyshire thing, or is it a national trend that has passed me by?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    None of that cheesy chips malarkey round our way. Chips and curry sauce is more in favour ( being south of the gravy line.)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast