Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 20/21

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cross Country 20/21

In light of the announcements made today, it seems we might get some form of cross-country season over the winter.

I just can't see how it can run as a bona-fide race though, without mass starts... certainly not in our local league where you have 300 runners... let alone something like the nationals.

It's a different kettle of fish to the fells where you can often find yourself time-trialling, even in a popular race. And different again to the roads where it is only really times that matter.

Lets hope something feasible does get sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    In light of the announcements made today, it seems we might get some form of cross-country season over the winter.

I just can't see how it can run as a bona-fide race though, without mass starts... certainly not in our local league where you have 300 runners... let alone something like the nationals.

It's a different kettle of fish to the fells where you can often find yourself time-trialling, even in a popular race. And different again to the roads where it is only really times that matter.

Lets hope something feasible does get sorted.
    We are still just about in August.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...2c5f6912ed7076
    Much of the country is CV free according to the testing and where they are still finding small pockets, they are very small.

Up here there is an all age group road relay event on 20th September at Haydock Park.

At some point the social distancing will end and we will be back to hand-washing and taking personal responsibility for personal contact. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I hope everybody is studiously completing and returning their survey to British Athletics re the potential aligning of cross country race distances for men and women... whatever your view on the subject.

Unbelievable that this proposal has reared it's head again. Surely getting races back on is a million times more the priority!

The statement from ECCU seems to have stirred things up a bit (on facebook anyway)

Sounds like a group of elite female XC runners have thrown their combined weight behind their view that simply equalising distances without any thought or planning, might not necessarily be the best option for sporting performance...

The rules are equalised.

If there was demand, initially someone could put on an open XC event and trial it. I wonder why Run Equal haven't considered that.
    Probably because they want to moan a lot about what others do and don't want to get off their backside and set up a few test events themselves.

Anyone club interested could consider approaching a league AGM and suggesting a test event and then seeing how it affects timetabling for the officials / RO and what the feedback is from the athletes.

As an RO of many Cross Country races, from local school to Area Champs, I never saw any demand or felt inclined to try a new format and in a survey recently the senior ladies questioned decided to vote for the status quo.

The problem with the current survey, it is going out to Throwers, Sprinters, Jumpers....

Imagine a poll on the future of fell running shaped by Track Fairies and Road Runners under the guise of democracy.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Anyone club interested could consider approaching a league AGM and suggesting a test event and then seeing how it affects timetabling for the officials / RO and what the feedback is from the athletes.
    I know of a club, who already host a match each season, that did just that. The league turned down the offer. The club weren't moaning and were very happy to get off their backsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I came to fell from middle-distance track running, (without passing 'GO' or collecting £200), so must question the use of the word 'Fairies'. It may be a long time since you last raced 800m, and have forgotten just how fierce it is, so I will not take offence. Otherwise I agree with what you've said
    Sorry Marco - we have a Forumite called Track Fairy aka Simon Deakin of Leeds and it's a term I'm used to using primarily because of Simon's ID on the forum.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

The statement by ECCU somewhat echoed your views WP.... (and as you can imagine was roundly attacked by a lot of people... but also recieved plenty of support from both men and women)

The survey was heavily skewed into illicitng a response which was in favour of equalising race distances, and didn't really leave room for an alternative response, other than in the "any other comments" at the end.

Incidentally i'm not against equalising distances IF that is what women want to do... and as you rightly say WP, there is plenty of evidence to indicate that it is not necessarily the case.

I realise it's all about "equality"... but surely it is a better form of equality to say to women (possibly by way of a vote) "please tell us what distance you want to race... no change, or same as the men's races"

rather than to say "you are now racing the same as men because that's how it should be, regardless of whether you (the competitors) want to or not"

And any solutions which have mixed races, long and short races... well they're just nonsense and quite obviously dreamed up by someone who has never been to Parliament Hill or Woollaton Park on a National day!
    Last edited by Travs; 19-01-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    The statement by ECCU somewhat echoed your views WP.... (and as you can imagine was roundly attacked by a lot of people... but also recieved plenty of support from both men and women)

The survey was heavily skewed into illicitng a response which was in favour of equalising race distances, and didn't really leave room for an alternative response, other than in the "any other comments" at the end.

Incidentally i'm not against equalising distances IF that is what women want to do... and as you rightly say WP, there is plenty of evidence to indicate that it is not necessarily the case.

I realise it's all about "equality"... but surely it is a better form of equality to say to women (possibly by way of a vote) "please tell us what distance you want to race... no change, or same as the men's races"

rather than to say "you are now racing the same as men because that's how it should be, regardless of whether you (the competitors) want to or not"

And any solutions which have mixed races, long and short races... well they're just nonsense and quite obviously dreamed up by someone who has never been to Parliament Hill or Woollaton Park on a National day!
    The main point I would make is that Male and Female events are equalised under the rules.

If you don't like the races available, organise one in a format that you believe is the future. You'll soon find out if it is or not.

In a local debate here among my club members, I've offered to make a comeback as an RO and set up a two race open cross country test event when the regulations allow, with a short course and long course option. So far I'm only aware of one lady in our club that is chomping at the bit to run 4 laps around Witton
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell