Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good to see Marc Hirschi win the stage yesterday. Real talent and a top bike handler

Any predictions for today's stage?
    It should be an enjoyable watch
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Could we have a ban on disclosing TDF results on here until 9pm,so that those of us who don't get paid to watch it during the dayhave time to watch the highlights without knowing what the days action has in store.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Lot of riders with different times.

A must watch stage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Totally agree. Could we extend that to all sports that have highlight programs
    NO. Sorry

Banned
    The big hill today.

Will have a massive impact on GC.

Banned
    Very entertaining.

Best man won.

I shall stick my neck out here and predict Chris Froome will not win another tdf.
    Presuming the current crop of young riders are not caught out during drug testing and all banned, I reckon they will not be scared, in awe or intimidated by riding against Froome and his new team. Mentally they will attack him with confidence, something he will have lost. Game over for Froome next year, new boys in town.

Anyone want to make predictions for 2021?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I shall stick my neck out here and predict Chris Froome will not win another tdf.
    Presuming the current crop of young riders are not caught out during drug testing and all banned, I reckon they will not be scared, in awe or intimidated by riding against Froome and his new team. Mentally they will attack him with confidence, something he will have lost. Game over for Froome next year, new boys in town.

Anyone want to make predictions for 2021?
    Froome was never going to win another Tour after he decided to blow his nose riding downhill in windy weather. He could never get back to as good as he was because he is getting very old at the same time as younger, hungrier riders are getting better than they ever were.

There is a phrase in Hollywood that "nobody knows anything" and every year some rider(s) causes a sensation that no one has forecast - because most commentators play safe to keep on the payroll. (It's why omerta amongst the media allowed EPO (or "Edgar" to the cognoscenti) to thrive for so long).

So,on the basis of one win everybody name checked Bernal for 2020. One tour win, just like Riis, Roche, Ulrich,Evans,Sastre, Schleck, Wiggins,Thomas, Pantani, Pereiro, Ocana, Van Impe, Zoetemelk, Nibali!

So my forecast for 2021 is that someone that nobody is talking about now will emerge as a sensation.Someone always does.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-09-2020 at 11:37 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Froome not winning another GRAND tour is spot on.

Big question is will Ineos? They have been AWOL.

Well I agree on Froome for this year. He's supposedly working towards team leader at the Vuelta which gives him around 5 weeks.
    He looks so far off.
    He's arrived at Grand Tours under prepared in the past, but after what happened to him last year I do wonder whether he can come back.
    On the plus side for him, he's won plenty so I'm not confident enough to completely write him off.

I was impressed with Porte today. He's starting to look like his old self. If he is riding in to some form, with the stages coming up he has a chance to close the gap on Roglic.

Bernal was lucky to win last year with the shortened Alpine stages helping and probably the lowest standard field I'd seen in my time watching. It was always going to be a tough gig making even the podium this year.

I think Roglic and Pogacar are strong riders, good all-rounders and are probably here to stay for a couple of years and whether anyone else gets a look in at a Grand Tour could well depend on whether those two turn up.

I'd just like to see a bit more aggression at the front end. Yates had a half-hearted effort yesterday but other than that it was left until the last few hundred metres.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell