Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I can imagine Graham having a satisfying glass of Cotes du Rhone last night after watching that
    A generous act of charity by Jumbo-Visma for yesteryear's team.

And thinking of cheats: although I have dozens of cycling books I have only just got round to buying The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. I have read the books by or on Pantani, Riis, Walsh, Jonathan Vaughters (One Way Ticket) on EPO etc cheating but the detail in Hamilton's book on blood transfusions, EPO use is stunning.

Almost as stunning as what Armstrong did - but obviously nothing can ever come that close.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-09-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I don't think the podium will change after today's TT unless someone blows up big time on the plank or screws up a bike change. (Not sure why this is allowed ie a complete change of bike style/setup rather than a replacement for a mechanical problem.)
    Hoping Carapaz hangs on to KoM jersey. The points are decided on the final climb only so he can cruise up to the last time check on his normal road bike and then give it full gas whereas Rog and Pog etc will be on it from the start with GC positions to protect. 2 races for the price of one today! 😁

Good to see some of the aggressive efforts have reaped rewards this year.

Hirschi, Kragh Anderson, Alaphilippe and Carapaz have all got stuck in and been bold.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I didn't see that coming.

Graham - you seem to be the best Tour historian on here. How does that TT sit for you?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Graham is the best at everything (well, apart from reggae music and modesty)

Period
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned
    Well done lad. Tadej Pogacar.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I didn't see that coming.

Graham - you seem to be the best Tour historian on here. How does that TT sit for you?

Well the Fignon-LeMond turnaround can be attributed to Fignon having a boil and LeMond using a TT bike (arguably illegal) but unless we are told by the Roglic camp it may just be that it is easier to attack than defend.

Cycling Weekly
    regarded Aru as the "Star Rider" for UAE TEam Emirates but did say "Prodigy Pogacar was one to watch."

And I am glad for Porte.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 19-09-2020 at 05:52 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

As my comments on the e-bike thread will suggest, i know precious little about cycling... although i do like to watch the coverage on Eurosport.

However it seems strange to me that a race which is effectively three weeks of conventional racing, can then have its result turned so wildly on its head by a time-trial. Surely time-trialling is almost a different discipline?

(awaits an absolute pummeling from the forum cyclists!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Cycling Weekly [/I]regarded Aru as the "Star Rider" for UAE TEam Emirates but did say "Prodigy Pogacar was one to watch."

And I am glad for Porte.
    Well, Pogacar will never be unwatched again so long as he is astride a bike, also very pleased for Porte able to finally have that podium place.
    Great spectacle on TV, should think all the tdf race directors are wetting themselves with glee and teams are getting their cheque books out for next year.
    I think we needed a decent bit of sport to watch this summer and that race provided it, hope it doesn't all fall apart with "you know what" accusations or positive tests.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    As my comments on the e-bike thread will suggest, i know precious little about cycling... although i do like to watch the coverage on Eurosport.

However it seems strange to me that a race which is effectively three weeks of conventional racing, can then have its result turned so wildly on its head by a time-trial. Surely time-trialling is almost a different discipline?

(awaits an absolute pummeling from the forum cyclists!!)
    And allowed to change bike half way through, I don't pretend to understand it but it makes bloody good tv (when it is good), the scenery is lovely and I enjoy swearing at the prattish spectators.
    Now where's me gin?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.