Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beautiful mystery

A great three days in the Black Mountains camping near Abergavenny. All part of my quest to walk all the 2000ft hills in Wales. Shame that for 2 1/2 of the days I was in cloud and drizzle, but all improves the compass skills.
    However on the last day as I got to the Northern escarpment the cloud broke and the sun came out. Fantastic views ranging round to the Beacons to the west, Mid Wales and the Shropshire hills. Bredon Hill (where I lived as a child)appearing over the Malverns with the Cotswold ridge in the background. South to the Bristol Channel. Loved it as I walked down the Long ridge of Offa's Dyke path and then dropped down to Llanthony Priory. Still laughing about a hill named Lord Hereford's Knob.
    Now only 14 hills to do for my completion. 4 in the Radnor forest, 6 in the Moelwyns and 4 obscure ones in Snowdonia.

There's a Half Man Half Biscuit song about Lord Herefords Knob.

I wonder why Lord Hereford left his knob in Wales. I prefer the more civilised name of Twmpa, which means Hump.

Now that opens another avenue. Perhaps Lord Hereford liked sheep!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 11-09-2020 at 09:09 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Fantastic walk yesterday into The Great Welsh Desert. Wents south from the end of a very minor road just west of Llangurig and over to the Ystwyth valley. Miles of nothing and great views to The Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains, Drygarn Fawr in the foreground. Saw a snipe up on the tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I wonder why Lord Hereford left his knob in Wales. I prefer the more civilised name of Twmpa, which means Hump.

Now that opens another avenue. Perhaps Lord Hereford liked sheep!
    But did he leave the pub before last orders, after all who wants to be late to the party and end up with an ugly one.
    What did her Mum say?
    Baa.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Between the majestic summits of Snowdonia and the well trodden uplands of the Brecon beacons lies a huge tract of folded land, seldom visited and little raced upon apart from intrepid Dragons Backers. The Cambrian Mountains hide their glory from the casual passer by. They truly are a hinterland. And if you want to get a sense of what they feel like, watch the series of the same name. The programmes add up to a long form essay of love to this unique and mysterious environment. Deeply fabulous. How did I miss this first time around!
    Sounds like a mysterious sweet escape! I'd love to be in this place without the internet for like a month.