Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beautiful mystery

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I did that Gorllwyn ridge a few times in the old days - not a lot of foot traffic over it I recall till you hit the Drygarn Fawr paths! Winter (dry weather) is the best time really once the tussock grass is back down.
    The path you took from the Drygarn Fawr cairns down over Dalrhiw to the hard track at the bottom of the valley was my favourite bit of running; soft, springy and gently downhill for a couple of miles, I used to love just blasting down there. Back in the days when I could "blast" ��.
    This Sunday on my bike ride I was in the forestry above the Irfon valley (above the Devils staircase) looking across at Drygarn which was very close, reminding me of many happy times spent in those hills and some events we used to put on there.
    A lovely part of the world Moley. Mondays outing was more of a walk than run and I was carrying a small backpack. I jogged down that path and as I did so I decided that the next time I am in Mid Wales I am going to run up it to Drygarn just so I can turn around at the top and go "blasting down" it.

I could see why it was a favourite of yours.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

We were in Wales at the weekend walking in the Eglwyseg valley above Llangollen having not been there for many years since I used to climb a bit.

Bumped into the Llangollen fell race for a bit of added interest and then didn't see a soul until a rambler wearing a hat, boots and nothing else appeared by the cairn on Dinbren. They are a strange lot in Wales (or maybe he was from over the border, I didn't ask).
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    We were in Wales at the weekend walking in the Eglwyseg valley above Llangollen having not been there for many years since I used to climb a bit.

Bumped into the Llangollen fell race for a bit of added interest and then didn't see a soul until a rambler wearing a hat, boots and nothing else appeared by the cairn on Dinbren. They are a strange lot in Wales (or maybe he was from over the border, I didn't ask).
    Did he have blue eyes?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I didn't notice to be honest but he had an all over tan.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

The only OMM I ever did was in that tussocky hell above Claerwen. We jibbed out and dropped to the wriggly reservoir road.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    The only OMM I ever did was in that tussocky hell above Claerwen. We jibbed out and dropped to the wriggly reservoir road.
    Remember it well, The Missus and I were on checkpoint duties waiting for you up in the tussocks 🤣. You never arrived!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Ah the delights of the two tops south of the Elan Valleys. Walked up Drygarn Fawr with my wife, on the fairly good, if a little boggy track. Wonderful summit with the amazing cairns. Only other people I have met that have visited it (apart from us lot) are Dragons backers. In my Welsh 2000ft quest I then left my wife to walk down the sensible way and set off for Gorllwyn. What a boggy, tussocky flog! Glad to get there and onto drier ground and an odd set of cairns. And yes, the run down is great.

Peak 660 - yes another trig point in the middle of bugger all! But try Great Creigiau 641m - no visible summit in the middle of some of the worst ground I've ever crossed with the added excitement that you may be shot or step on unexploded ordinance.