Thread: Another victim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master

Another victim

Another great event sucumbs to the virus :-

https://www.amblesideac.org.uk/2020/...020-cancelled/
    The older I get the Faster I was

Hoping that the rearranged Teenager With Altittude, and Coledale Horseshoe will survive, and maybe get to one of them.

And now the rescheduled Coledale is also cancelled.

fingers crossed for Teenager then!

I see that Parkruns are looking to return by end of October in England... surely this must assist in paving the way for races to start returning to something approaching normality...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    ...I see that Parkruns are looking to return by end of October in England... surely this must assist in paving the way for races to start returning to something approaching normality...
    Yes, I saw this, so I posted the question on the Fell Running UK's Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

I see that Parkruns are looking to return by end of October in England... surely this must assist in paving the way for races to start returning to something approaching normality...
    I would have thought that Parkrun's would be the last type of event to get going due to the wide range of age and ability of the runners in addition to the varying configuration of courses like out and back, and, laps.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I would have thought that Parkrun's would be the last type of event to get going due to the wide range of age and ability of the runners in addition to the varying configuration of courses like out and back, and, laps.
    It's probably the easiest in that its all outdoors, no village halls or checkpoints required and all results are automatically logged for you. And its only 5K and over really quickly. A lot of fell races though have kit requirements, very rural and localised venues and often need a (crammed) hall at the start and finish, manned checkpoints and whatnot. I think small fell races ought to be possible though.

Lakes in a Day (a 50 mile ultra that is effectively a 30 mile fell race which then evolves into a trail race for the last 20 miles) which runs normally in October had been holding out to go ahead but cancelled just last week. Their problem wasn't so much the running part of even the land that it crossed but was all about the use of a school at the finish, which clearly didn't make sense, and the inability to find or even want to ask, in the circumstances, about an alternative

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    And now the rescheduled Coledale is also cancelled.
    Just got the email. A terrible pity but understandable in the current situation. Hoping 2021 sees it back in its usual place in the fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Just got the email. A terrible pity but understandable in the current situation. Hoping 2021 sees it back in its usual place in the fixtures.
    I see from the email that we are going to be refunded - I'd have been happy just to have it carried over again but in the circumstances I suppose they can't do that indefinitely.
    A different system I know but I like the way some organisers with sportident have managed this situation - option of a refund or defer for next time. A triathlon up where I stay organised by the local leisure centre also asked people to consider donating their entry fee (they operate as a local charity) which apart from being a nice thing to do means they are more likely to still be operating and able to stage the event next year. (26th September, let's hope by then we are back to something more normal).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    . A triathlon up where I stay organised by the local leisure centre also asked people to consider donating their entry fee (they operate as a local charity) which apart from being a nice thing to do means they are more likely to still be operating and able to stage the event next year.
    Yes. How much do runners really care about the survival of events?

Twenty years ago when I was concerned about declining numbers in long "A" races like Ennerdale I had a conversation with Richard Eastman and he told me in some years he personally subsidized his race (Wasdale) but that as long as some people wanted to run it he would put it on. That conversation was part of the inspiration to establish the Lakeland Classics Trophy (with Brian Martin).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".