Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Another victim

The statement from English Athletics this morning is encouraging... for those that haven't seen it, it basically implies that athletic competition and training can carry on as they were.

Obviously, things can change very quickly, and we all know fellracing comes with a whole different set of circumstances re landowners etc... but it is encouraging.

On the back of that, i've had a rush of blood and entered a Track Mile race for mid-October!

Unfortunately the OMM's been cancelled too.
    I had high hopes that due to the individual start times and wide distancing on the hill it would be OK.

From the organiser:
    "...in Scotland, one of the measures has been to require larger sporting events to be registered with Scottish Athletics for professional risk assessment. OMM did this and was quickly recognised as an event where, due to the nature of the course and landscape, social distancing is inherently adhered to, as long as it could implement some changes to its staging areas (HQ, Start, Finish, overnight etc).
    These plans were made and submitted and we received approval by Scottish Athletics and Environmental Health Argyle and Bute.
    This week they have been officially revoked by the political body that Scottish Athletics report to. Mark Munro, CEO- Scottish Athletics, comments, ‘There is generally a real concern about the virus spread at Holyrood, anything that looks slightly risky in their minds is being postponed.’ "

The OMM are really good though - a choice of a full refund, transfer to next year or OMM kit to the value of 125% of the entry fee.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Does anybody know if the Wansfell uphill only scheduled for 16th October is going ahead? I've tried emailing the organiser but haven't had a reply so far. It's still open for entries on SI and I hoped it might go ahead as it's time trial format.

Mark I thought I read that it had been cancelled but I can't recall where, so don't take it as definite.

I know that TWA/Anni Waltz are off...

Edit: re the Wansfell race, the race website states that it's off for 2020 and planned for 2021.
    Last edited by Travs; 18-09-2020 at 09:17 AM.

The last Kong MM has been pulled due to landowner issues, and the OMM is gone. Can’t even car share to the lakes to do the Saunders maprun mm!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Mark I thought I read that it had been cancelled but I can't recall where, so don't take it as definite.

I know that TWA/Anni Waltz are off...

Edit: re the Wansfell race, the race website states that it's off for 2020 and planned for 2021.
    Thanks Travs. There was a series of youth races planned for earlier in the summer and the website for them does say they are postponed until next year - but this race isn't mentioned on the site (as far as I can see) and is still open for entries on SI - so I hoped it would possibly still be on. But I suspect that you are right.

As far as I can tell the events postponed until 2021 were scheduled for July this year. They included this race and Loughrigg Silver Howe. I'm not sure if the October race is one of the July ones originally rescheduled to October or if the October race stood alone in its own right (albeit under the same organisiers). SI are usually pretty good about taking down anything that's cancelled but it's still open for entries today. It's maybe all academic anyway in light of possible new restrictions.

Ras Y Berwyn in November has been postponed until next year.

But in a rare bit of good news the Wansfell Uphill only is going ahead. Link to SI entries on my earlier post. Sincere thanks to Duncan for making the effort to navigate the restrictions and making it possible.

That is good news and I might fancy that myself if I can organise a weekend up there..