Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Another victim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    But in a rare bit of good news the Wansfell Uphill only is going ahead. Link to SI entries on my earlier post. Sincere thanks to Duncan for making the effort to navigate the restrictions and making it possible.
    Wow - entries spread over 2 hours if 240 runners. Will it survive the new measures - England Athletics yet to clarify.

"Entries - This is an online entry only event with a maximun of 240 competitors (ie No entries on the day). Upon entering each athlete will choose a start time by the minute between 18:00 and 20:00 (so 120 options). Athletes will be started at 30 second intervals."

Master
    Another disapointment for a lot of folk next year :-

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...orkshire-dales
    The older I get the Faster I was

Doesn't bode well - have entries in a couple of LDWA events in the lakes postponed until about the same time, hope they are still on.

Master
    Doesn't bode well - have entries in a couple of LDWA events in the lakes postponed until about the same time, hope they are still on.
    Same here but I am resigned to the likelihood that the events I have entries for next year will be cancelled but hey the hills,passes and fells will still be there to play on and I have had plenty of time poring over maps and planing .

Just a case of plan for the worst hope for the best
    The older I get the Faster I was

To be fair the fellsman especially, in its current format, isn't geared up for covid and I think them not being able to cover the cost of a late cancellation probably played a big part in their decision. Also the transportation logistics of an event that can take anything between 10 and 30 hours to complete and starts and finishes in different places

I reckon they might've adapted things though. For example were the fellsman to switch its start to really late in the day, rather than first thing, (11 pm or midnight Friday for instance, a bit like the HPM) it would be able to avoid most of the over night stayers (at Threshfield or Ingleton) and for many competitors compulsory grouping could be avoided (first night grouping could easily be dismissed with in these circumstances). Many more runners could then have arranged for daylight pick up in Threshfield at the finish, with perhaps some socially distanced coaches running at regular intervals back to Ingleton for those that couldn't. The overnight grouping thing is nowadays looking really dated so it could perhaps have been knocked on the head completely or done subject to tight rules only for second night over nighters?

Whilst it is far from me to question a race organisation with as much experience as the Fellsman, the night grouping thing is probably the main thing which puts me off from entering. Same with the Long Mynd Hike.

I put my entry in a couple of weeks ago for Marsden-Edale Trigger. Awaiting to see if/when the lockdown rules are relaxed, and hopefully there's a reasonable chance of it going ahead in early Jan (but i'm not exactly holding my breath).

Also a race in Wales entered in mid/late Dec which i have a little more confidence will be able to go ahead.

A notice from the RO on facebook indicates that Jura is all but off for 2021... possibility of some form of event if there is a vaccine and the hotel campsite was to be open... but otherwise there'll be no race at all...

I've had a message via sportident about one of these (Spring into Lakeland, a different event to normal from Staveley this year). It's still hoped that it will go ahead, but:- New rules imposed by their insurers state that only LDWA members can take part, they need to reduce the numbers to 150 (from Nealy 300 most of whom have an entry carried over) and there will be little to no support at checkpoints/feed points etc. I'm not at all bothered about the last point and they have given us the option of joining LDWA to keep an entry - but if we all do that 150 of us are still going to be weeded out somehow or other. I'm not very enthusiastic about joining for a couple of events that might not go ahead and for at least one of which I could be balloted out of or deselected. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A notice from the RO on facebook indicates that Jura is all but off for 2021... possibility of some form of event if there is a vaccine and the hotel campsite was to be open... but otherwise there'll be no race at all...
    Still hopeful this might go ahead in some form. I have spent the previous 17 years in a quest to run 21 consecutive Juras. Due to work it was difficult to get time off at weekends for many years and I didn't start Jura until comparatively late in my running career. It's now a battle of age versus cut off times, so I am training as if it's on,just in case. I'm in exactly the same position with Ben Nevis. I know I've been lucky to get entries each year and I appreciate that. But the 'chain' I've spent years building is now irredeemably broken through nobody's fault.

A couple of xmas/new year races off...

Devil's Chair Dash - Boxing Day - Shropshire
    Tour Of Llyn Lydaw - New Years Day - Snowdonia