Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another victim

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Bolton by Bowland

On the other hand when the RO - a villager - moved away from B x B this race collapsed after 2011, when there were 160 runners.This was slightly odd because it was a village "event", lots of cakes were sold by the ladies of the village,the past winners are displayed on a board in the village hall, locals would donate prizes (including Denise Park when she lived there) - but nobody would take over co-ordination.
    It is difficult when a race is organised away from a club. When David Bailey at Pendle stepped aside the club found someone to keep it going.
    I suppose at Bowland and other such events they didn't have the club link.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It is difficult when a race is organised away from a club. When David Bailey at Pendle stepped aside the club found someone to keep it going.
    I suppose at Bowland and other such events they didn't have the club link.
    I accept that - it was just having a huge Honour Board in the village hall...which was still there last time I went in.

And who'd be a RO? I still recall the phone call from the uphill only finish on top of Grisedale Pike telling me Alistair Brownlee and chum had missed the finish and were last seen racing through the clag towards the Irish Sea and so it was time for me as RO to call out the MRT.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Yes. How much do runners really care about the survival of events?

Twenty years ago when I was concerned about declining numbers in long "A" races like Ennerdale I had a conversation with Richard Eastman and he told me in some years he personally subsidized his race (Wasdale) but that as long as some people wanted to run it he would put it on. That conversation was part of the inspiration to establish the Lakeland Classics Trophy (with Brian Martin).
    We owe you both our thanks for that Graham. I was one of the very few pre-entries for Ennerdale the year it was cancelled for lack of support - even after Joss gave us all a stern talking to at the Dunnerdale start telling us to get our entries in or it might not go ahead. A far cry from some of today's oversubscribed races.
    Last edited by Mark G; 08-09-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Auto correct turned Ennerdale in to Emmerdale. I really don't care if that's cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I would have thought that Parkrun's would be the last type of event to get going due to the wide range of age and ability of the runners in addition to the varying configuration of courses like out and back, and, laps.
    It's probably the easiest in that its all outdoors, no village halls or checkpoints required and all results are automatically logged for you. And its only 5K and over really quickly. A lot of fell races though have kit requirements, very rural and localised venues and often need a (crammed) hall at the start and finish, manned checkpoints and whatnot. I think small fell races ought to be possible though.

Lakes in a Day (a 50 mile ultra that is effectively a 30 mile fell race which then evolves into a trail race for the last 20 miles) which runs normally in October had been holding out to go ahead but cancelled just last week. Their problem wasn't so much the running part of even the land that it crossed but was all about the use of a school at the finish, which clearly didn't make sense, and the inability to find or even want to ask, in the circumstances, about an alternative

The Parkruns that I have done the results are not automatically logged. Runners are handed a disc as they finish and then have to hand in their disc whilst having their barcode scanned.

They may be outdoors, but regularly over 300 people running on an out and back course that is about 9 feet wide is not going to happen any time soon.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Super Moderator
    Sadly you’re right Llani
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The Parkruns that I have done the results are not automatically logged. Runners are handed a disc as they finish and then have to hand in their disc whilst having their barcode scanned.

They may be outdoors, but regularly over 300 people running on an out and back course that is about 9 feet wide is not going to happen any time soon.
    Apparently when Parkrun was starting up they were given the technological option of people just crossing the finishing line to get a result, but they decided to go for the need-to-queue option as part of the experience. Understandable then - chatting in the queue is/was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Apparently when Parkrun was starting up they were given the technological option of people just crossing the finishing line to get a result, but they decided to go for the need-to-queue option as part of the experience. Understandable then - chatting in the queue is/was fun.
    Presumably though they could relatively easily adapt the system if every runner is already bar coded? I'm speaking from ignorance here as the thought of semi-sprinting 5K actually horrifies me and I've never actually run a park run. For sure my wife's sister, a regular at park running, has commenced her training again based Park Run Uk's announcement on Monday https://www.parkrun.org.uk/cliffecas...7th-september/

Crossing all my bits for Teenager. Luckily it was the only race I’d entered.

Unluckily, my plans were to do a race near the start of the year, one at the end, and train in the middle. Covid chaos means that actually, I’ve done half the training I’d planned, and both races are within 7 days of each other!