Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Another victim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I've had a message via sportident about one of these (Spring into Lakeland, a different event to normal from Staveley this year). It's still hoped that it will go ahead, but:- New rules imposed by their insurers state that only LDWA members can take part, they need to reduce the numbers to 150 (from Nealy 300 most of whom have an entry carried over) and there will be little to no support at checkpoints/feed points etc. I'm not at all bothered about the last point and they have given us the option of joining LDWA to keep an entry - but if we all do that 150 of us are still going to be weeded out somehow or other. I'm not very enthusiastic about joining for a couple of events that might not go ahead and for at least one of which I could be balloted out of or deselected. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet.
    I am a longtime member of the LDWA and my entry for Spring into Lakeland is carried over from last year and if it happens I will take part no matter what form it takes.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I am a longtime member of the LDWA and my entry for Spring into Lakeland is carried over from last year and if it happens I will take part no matter what form it takes.
    I hope it does go ahead John and that you can run. Like you I have an entry carried over from last year. But if we all join I think a lot of us are going to be disappointed - they still need to get the numbers down from what I understand. There will inevitably be some withdrawals and some may not want to run it without the usual level of support but I think some will join and still not get a run. In my case having only entered two of the loops and not already being a member I'm coming round to thinking I should probably withdraw and leave the available places for long term members who intend to do the full distance. I only usually do a couple of LDWA events each year,usually as early season training so have never joined. I've always done this with a clear conscience in the past in the knowledge that LDWA members could enter our events with no penalty for not being FRA members, I think it will be a shame if that changes.
    Last edited by Mark G; 12-12-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Master
    I hope it does go ahead John and that you can run. Like you I have an entry carried over from last year. But if we all join I think a lot of us are going to be disappointed - they still need to get the numbers down from what I understand. There will inevitably be some withdrawals and some may not want to run it without the usual level of support but I think some will join and still not get a run. In my case having only entered two of the loops and not already being a member I'm coming round to thinking I should probably withdraw and leave the available places for long term members who intend to do the full distance. I only usually do a couple of LDWA events each year,usually as early season training so have never joined. I've always done this with a clear conscience in the past in the knowledge that LDWA members could enter our events with no penalty for not being FRA members, I think it will be a shame if that changes.

Thanks Mark G I hope it goes ahead as well but I am happy to do the event in whatever form is deemed best at the time.

Personally I value my membership of both the LDWA and FRA two very different organisations i.m.o.

The big attraction to the LDWA for me is the 100 mile and ultra distance events that they put on which can be undertaken by individuals that are only interested in challenging themselves with no pressure to race,and as such gives very valuable training and self assessment opportunities, it also represents excellent value given the number of events that are staged annually.

As to my FRA membership I joined many years ago in order to be kept abreast of what events were being staged where and when, which the Events Handbook and Calendar have done admirably over the years, The magazine is on the whole a good read, i have only once taken any real interest in Championship races (Before I realised I was happiest as a mid pack runner rather than a racer, or put another way stopped deluding myself) but that said I have picked up a few points for my club over the years. I did the Navigation courses with from Kettlewell which was well worthwhile, I have never really been interested in the social side of things but I seem to remember attending one annual do several years ago.

I am entering the LDWA `THATS LYTH` virtual event because I like the LDWAs reasoning for staging the event i.e. to give S.I.S entrys some business and any excess from the £5 entry is to be donated to charity.

I personally have no problem in paying a few quid annually to be a member of both organistions given the amount of hard work that volunteers do to give so much pleasure to so many people. and T.B.H. I have no problem with any organisation looking after members first and if I find that maybe I have entered an event that is not covered by either organisation (unlikely) then I am happy to pay the odd quid or two over the odds.

Its the Three rings that I have entered on SPRING IN LAKELAND.

Whatever you choose to do I hope all goes well for you
    Last edited by JohnK; 12-12-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

Personally I value my membership of both the LDWA and FRA two very different organisations i.m.o.
    But also similar. I must have done around 40 different Challenge events although 20+ miles is a struggle now.

And wearing my FRA Committee hat I take some interest in the governance of the LDWA and how they do, fairly similar, things. For example, it has had differential entry fees for members in place for years - and in my view rightly so.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 12-12-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I've no objection to paying a couple of pounds to the LDWA for an entry as a non member but I do like the fellrunning philosophy of open to all, only criteria being ability. The problem is that subscriptions can mount up to a pretty considerable amount of you do a few different activities. I'm a life member of the FRA, and a member of Cumberland Fell Runners the Cyclists Touring Club. But where to stop? British Orienteering (plus local club) BMC, British Canoeing (plus local club) National Trust? The list goes on and on.

I've no objection to paying a couple of pounds to the LDWA for an entry as a non member but I do like the fellrunning philosophy of open to all, only criteria being ability. The problem is that subscriptions can mount up to a pretty considerable amount of you do a few different activities. I'm a life member of the FRA, and a member of Cumberland Fell Runners the Cyclists Touring Club. But where to stop? British Orienteering (plus local club) BMC, British Canoeing (plus local club) National Trust? The list goes on and on.
    I'm not arguing the point but reflecting on changing times. My FRA number is 3xxx. There are now over 8000 members. There used to be fewer LDWA members than in the FRA but it now has 10,000 members.

It is nearly 20 years since I wrote "Will Long 'A' Races Survive" because of the vulnerability of Wasdale and Ennerdale - but who now would imagine that such an article could ever have been necessary?

If memberships continue to grow inevitably event entry criteria will start to be applied and membership will become a priority.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I'm not arguing the point but reflecting on changing times. My FRA number is 3xxx. There are now over 8000 members. There used to be fewer LDWA members than in the FRA but it now has 10,000 members.

It is nearly 20 years since I wrote "Will Long 'A' Races Survive" because of the vulnerability of Wasdale and Ennerdale - but who now would imagine that such an article could ever have been necessary?

If memberships continue to grow inevitably event entry criteria will start to be applied and membership will become a priority.

And rightly so, although my multiple memberships have not really cost me anything because of the fact I have not had to pay the non member premiums on entering events.

I even save money over the year on my National Trust membership simply by using their

carparks on a regular basis.
    Last edited by JohnK; 12-12-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    For example, it has had differential entry fees for members in place for years - and in my view rightly so.
    But then the LDWA hasn't become a franchise of England Athletics.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    The 2020 LDWA Y-100 Sir Fynwy 100 miler that was postponed until 2021 has now unfortunately been cancelled and hence will become the 100 that never was

Spine Race cancelled... although that was a hardly a surprise, being a February event.