Thread: Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, Langdale

Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, Langdale

Has anyone been to the Hikers’ Bar at the ODG recently? I went in mid-July, very soon after reopening, and the place was like a crime scene – black and yellow tape all over the floor, tacky Perspex sheets all over the place – I’m afraid they had completely sucked the joy out of one of my favourite places on earth. (There was also only one draught beer available, and a limited menu served in polystyrene boxes, but I guess that wasn’t their fault.) I haven’t dared to go back since, and won’t until I hear they’ve decided to interpret the rules a little less draconically. Can anyone share some good news?
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

I'll be passing by that way on Monday, and will try to remember to stick my head through the door...

On a similar note I passed through Kendal this morning, and whilst the town appeared to generally be thriving, there were one or two noticeable independent shops which looked like they have closed down.

Now organised into 2, 4 and 6 seater tables. They ask for a name and a phone number.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

It's very ominous. I can't see anywhere ever getting back to how it was before. Half of businesses will go cashless because they just won't switch back to cash and card. I don't think Corona can be wiped out, it's a virus, the threat will be omnipresent along with the restrictions.

I'll be steering clear of cashless business's where ever possible. Cash is still king.

However, a couple of weeks ago at Coed yr Brenin I arrived at 8.30 as I didn't want to start queuing but was the surprised to be first vehicle there! The Pay and Display machines were covered up with a sign saying pay at the centre. As it did not open until 10.00 off we went on our bikes.

Around 2pm, not wanting to get nabbed by the ANPR system they have, I went to the centre to pay and and was asked for the daily charge of £7. I put my 7 £1 coins on the counter and the young lady said "card only payment" to which I replied "I don't have one".

"Well" she continued, "what we do unofficially, in these cases, is allow you to put your fee into one of these two charity boxes." "What a great idea I replied" as I shared my coins between The Air Ambulance and Mountain Rescue.

She then took my Reg No as having paid. I told her I thought that this should be the official payment method.

Every cloud has a silver lining!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It's very ominous. I can't see anywhere ever getting back to how it was before. Half of businesses will go cashless because they just won't switch back to cash and card. I don't think Corona can be wiped out, it's a virus, the threat will be omnipresent along with the restrictions.
    You sound a bit depressed by it all - try to look on the bright side!

Sat outside here this lunchtime in gorgeous weather after a nice run. Still a magic place...

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    You sound a bit depressed by it all - try to look on the bright side!
    Yes, basically depressed yes.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent