Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stagger

Sad to see him go. Though I rarely agreed with his views he was always amusing. I was never offended when he was rude to me, and tried not to rise to the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Those who have goaded or taunted Stagger should hang their heads in shame. He is a long standing forumite whose rather simplistic views have long been tolerated. Such behaviour should have no place down our previously friendly pub.
    Whilst i understand your point (perhaps those who argued with him should have maybe not "dropped to that level" for want of a better phrase)....

It also works the other way... he opened up an attack-each-other thread, and kept poking it with a stick, so it's maybe not a surprise that people have had a go back...

On the topic of the forum moderators and admins... they have a tough task... whether we like it or not, a Google search on any number of fellrunning subjects can potentially lead to this place, and it can be one of the first ports of call for people new to the sport (perhaps not so much now with Facebook).... some of the discussion (regardless of whether its Down The Pub or not) doesn't always reflect well on the fellrunning community... we might all know that it's Down The Pub and anything goes, but that might not be the impression that others get...

I'm going to heed my own advice and say no more... i'll be back in my usual residence of Today's Training..!
    Last edited by Travs; 29-09-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

On the topic of the forum moderators and admins... they have a tough task... whether we like it or not, a Google search on any number of fellrunning subjects can potentially lead to this place, and it can be one of the first ports of call for people new to the sport (perhaps not so much now with Facebook).... some of the discussion (regardless of whether its Down The Pub or not) doesn't always reflect well on the fellrunning community... we might all know that it's Down The Pub and anything goes, but that might not be the impression that others get...
    (I have posted this before so I apologise to Andrew and Brett).

Some years ago I read an excellent book Pedalare! Pedalare! by a John Foot (2011) which is a history of Italian cycling. I made positive comment on here. John Foot was a Professor of Modern Italian History at London University (ie not a cycling journalist).

Some time later he wrote to me and thanked me for my kind comments. He had clearly googled the book title and it had led him to the FRA Forum!

So who knows...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 29-09-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Calcio by John Foot (a similar history, but of Italian Football), is the finest book I've ever read on football!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Calcio by John Foot (a similar history, but of Italian Football), is the finest book I've ever read on football!
    Well there you are. I always did have you marked down as one of the two or three other intellectuals on this Forum.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

So he really has gone? Fwiw I never had a problem with him and that covers many years - Stagger is Stagger, agree with him or not it isn't that serious an issue.
    I'm sure old time fell runners weren't such sensitive souls as to throw the toys out when called a Tosser, don't think he even called anyone an effing tosser? Oh well, sad to see the bouncers chuck him out the lounge on a misdemeanor, he was entertaining company over a pint at the bar.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Those who have goaded or taunted Stagger should hang their heads in shame. He is a long standing forumite whose rather simplistic views have long been tolerated. Such behaviour should have no place down our previously friendly pub.
    Agree completely. He will be missed. It appears that the language of his goaders which has been at least as bad on some occasions is ok for some reason.

Spot on Wheeze.

Although only having being on here for a few years, and the only forum I am on, I was considering calling it a day.

But why should I give in to these people who like to think that they are liberal, fair, and diverse.

They are, until someone presents a view or opinion with which they disagree and then you get both barrels of vitriol.

I'm old, been around a bit, and post things on here that I don't expect everyone to agree with but I'm certainly not going to be bullied off here because my views differ from that of snowflakes.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I don't think applying adjectives like snowflake helps either. You might think someone is a snowflake but you don't really know them so to use such terms only stokes antagonism. Let's try and avoid such things eh?

I don't think applying adjectives like snowflake helps either. You might think someone is a snowflake but you don't really know them so to use such terms only stokes antagonism. Let's try and avoid such things eh?
    But they are!

Easily offended and unable to deal with opposing opinions.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog