Thread: Wansfell Uphill only

Wansfell Uphill only

Just to confirm that, although the International Youth Cup has been moved to next July we will be going ahead with the Wansfell evening uphill only race planned originally for the night before the International, on Friday October 16th.
    We hope to use it to help with funding the Youth Cup in Ambleside next year, as well as to test our systems for next years event and have an enjoyable evenings racing.

It is a Time Trial format with online entry at SI -

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.ph...&event_id=6799

We've worked hard to make sure we are within Covid guidelines, minimizing risk as much as we can. Details are on the SI entries page.

The event is open for two hours, between 6.00pm & 8.00pm with runners departing every 30 seconds at a time chosen upon entry. Numbers with barcodes & names, collected ten minutes before each runners start time, will be scanned at the start to activate the timer and at the finish to give times. Competitors will also be scanned on returning to the start to ensure everyone is accounted for.

Each finishers time will be uploaded live instantly on to a website, the link to which to be put up nearer the time.

As it is uphill only, a descent will also be flagged away from the race and we ask runners to walk or jog as they come down.

It will be dark, obviously, so head-torches will be mandatory (as well as masks and a jacket)although we do plan to have some big lights from the local rescue team lighting up the flagged route.

Matt Bland has kindly offered some vouchers for prizes which we'll use for 5 spot prizes for all finishers drawn immediately after the event.

Any questions probably best to email as I'm not on here as much as I once was, but obviously will check in here occasionally.

Many thanks. Here is to an enjoyable,low key, safe and fun evenings racing.

Cheers
    Duncan
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

Good luck with the event Duncan
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Many thanks, it should be fun. And quick, some fast uns entered, 100 in so far....
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

Thanks Duncan for a very well organised race.

Good to be back in the saddle last night for my first race since Feb, even if uphill only is not really my forte. Hoping it wont be as long till my next race!

Results - http://results.opentracking.co.uk/event/wansfell20

I'd have loved to have been there, but there was no way i could squeeze in a Lakes trip this weekend.

Looking at the results, it was clearly a high-class field.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'd have loved to have been there, but there was no way i could squeeze in a Lakes trip this weekend.

Looking at the results, it was clearly a high-class field.
    Very high class. And me.
    Sincere thanks to everyone involved in organising it.

Thanks guys. Very lucky with the weather, gorgeous evening, marshals saying they watched the stars emerge, saw mars, even spied the space station crossing, which does take a lot of organising tbh... But deeply appreciative thanks to all competitors, who put up with all the various requirements we had to ask of people with good humour and patience.
    James Kirby's pictures look great and it'll take some run to beat Jacob's time. Would have been interesting if up & down, he'd have been very close to Kenny's record I reckon.

Hello Duncan...

Is there any possibility at all of the traditional up-and-down race over xmas being on, in a similar format?

Cheers,
    Pete