Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A suitable fell running watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Obviously you are too familiar with plastic Timex watches!

I have owned a Rolex for over 50 years. It doesn't have bells and whistles that tell the time of high tide on Venus or help you fly a plane (like those vulgar Breitlings) but it is light, has a clean uncluttered face and is classicly elegant. And I cherish it.
    I know you're right GB. But I was trying on the large, glitzy ones, just like Ricky was advertising. My other half has a small, ladies Rolex watch that is 40 plus years old. However, it's time keeping is appalling. She had it serviced about 10 years ago and the cost was prohibitive (she disagreed with me and my vulgar, cheap trashy watch fetish!), costing more than my typical annual car service. Just out of interest, I've checked the current servicing costs for Rolex watches and found these quotes:

Rolex service cost 2020.

The costs associated with Rolex servicing are calculated through a variety of factors. The work, time, skill and attention to detail which a Rolex repair requires means that they are among the most valued watches available. The servicing and repairs, therefore, require a great deal of attention from our team of technicians which is reflected in the Rolex service cost.
    How much is a Rolex service Price From

Cosmograph service £589.99
    Day/Date service £519.99
    Professional service £536.99
    Date Just service £479.99
    Date service £479.99
    Perpetual/ Airking service £389.99
    Oyster service £429.99
    Cellini quartz service £389.99
    Cellini battery £59.99
    Tudor quartz service £284.99
    Tudor chronograph service £354.99
    Tudor battery £59.99
    Non-official Rolex service mechanical £385.00
    Non-official Rolex service chronograph £490.00
    Non-official rolex service rolex battery & reseal £49.99
    Yacht-Master P.O.A
    I'm so very pleased she doesn't own a Yacht Master - !!!!!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    High-end watches seem to be a good investment option, as they invariably seem to rise in value.
    That's very true and I'm attracted to wearable examples of precision engineering and craftsmanship.

Having said that, in my financially deluded phase, thinking about buying one of these expensive watches, 15 years ago I bought a £30 stainless steel, Casio divers watch - a Seiko look-alike, just to determine if I could wear one day-to-day. I couldn't. It was too clunky, so it sat by my bedside table all those years as it has an extremely bright illuminator function which comes in handy. It needed a new battery recently (yes, 15 years on the original!) and an ebay/Youtube search found it now considered as a 'modern classic', no longer produced, but fetching £135 on ebay! Yes....Rezzzzault!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Mmmh. Although you would think Rolex would be above pricing servicing using 99p!

When I had mine valued for insurance purposes it was higher than the cost of a new watch! So I now keep it for special occasions and wear a Timex Ironman to destroy when fell running.

QUOTE=Mossdog;667680]I know you're right GB. But I was trying on the large, glitzy ones, just like Ricky was advertising. My other half has a small, ladies Rolex watch that is 40 plus years old. However, it's time keeping is appalling. She had it serviced about 10 years ago and the cost was prohibitive (she disagreed with me and my vulgar, cheap trashy watch fetish!), costing more than my typical annual car service. Just out of interest, I've checked the current servicing costs for Rolex watches and found these quotes:

Rolex service cost 2020.

The costs associated with Rolex servicing are calculated through a variety of factors. The work, time, skill and attention to detail which a Rolex repair requires means that they are among the most valued watches available. The servicing and repairs, therefore, require a great deal of attention from our team of technicians which is reflected in the Rolex service cost.
    How much is a Rolex service Price From

Cosmograph service £589.99
    Day/Date service £519.99
    Professional service £536.99
    Date Just service £479.99
    Date service £479.99
    Perpetual/ Airking service £389.99
    Oyster service £429.99
    Cellini quartz service £389.99
    Cellini battery £59.99
    Tudor quartz service £284.99
    Tudor chronograph service £354.99
    Tudor battery £59.99
    Non-official Rolex service mechanical £385.00
    Non-official Rolex service chronograph £490.00
    Non-official rolex service rolex battery & reseal £49.99
    Yacht-Master P.O.A
    I'm so very pleased she doesn't own a Yacht Master - !!!!! [/QUOTE]
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    My partner entered a jewellery shop raffle years ago and we won a Breitling watch each. Hers has been fine - very reliable, just needs a battery change every few years. Mine has been so unreliable and expensive to service - it had to be sent to Switzerland - that it lives in a drawer. I now use one of the cheaper Tags - a gift - no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    My partner entered a jewellery shop raffle years ago and we won a Breitling watch each. Hers has been fine - very reliable, just needs a battery change every few years. Mine has been so unreliable and expensive to service - it had to be sent to Switzerland - that it lives in a drawer. I now use one of the cheaper Tags - a gift - no problems at all.
    A battery? A battery!! My Rolex is "perpetual" - it is constantly wound by wrist movement.

On the first day of a tour in India the battery in my Timex Ironman died and so I needed a watch. On a market stall selling every posh brand in the world there was a huge Ferrari watch, face in red with the prancing horse against a yellow background. A real conversation starter, but clearly junk. I asked the Indian tour manger to buy it for me - it cost less than a £1. I asked him how long it would work for before it broke and he said "Oh it will last your holiday!"

It actually worked for a year but its battery appears to be one only available on Indian market stalls - and the cost of the air flight to India, well....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Very good.

And if I had won a Breitling I would certainly always wear it whenever I got on a plane.

Since doing some longer days out recently I have noticed that my Garmin Forerunner 35 which I have had for few years, and does everything I need a watch to do, has stared running out of battery after around 10hrs.

I am looking for a replacement and something that will have battery power to last a couple of days.

The Garmin Instinct Solar has caught my eye.

Has anyone got one and if so how do you rate it?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Since doing some longer days out recently I have noticed that my Garmin Forerunner 35 which I have had for few years, and does everything I need a watch to do, has stared running out of battery after around 10hrs.

I am looking for a replacement and something that will have battery power to last a couple of days.

The Garmin Instinct Solar has caught my eye.

Has anyone got one and if so how do you rate it?
    I have the bog standard Instinct and I can`t fault it I wont be getting a solar version anytime soon as a lot of my activities take place during hours when there will be no chance of solar charging.
    Having said that if I am out for multiple days I do strap a Solar power pack to my sac, works for me.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I have the bog standard Instinct and I can`t fault it I wont be getting a solar version anytime soon as a lot of my activities take place during hours when there will be no chance of solar charging.
    Having said that if I am out for multiple days I do strap a Solar power pack to my sac, works for me.
    Thanks John.

Is that a unit that I would then plug my watch into at the end of the day as now I do into my laptop?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Thanks John.

Is that a unit that I would then plug my watch into at the end of the day as now I do into my laptop?

Yep I plug the instinct into the Solar Power pack when it needs charging and also the mobile and yes I guess it would do a laptop but I have never yet taken a laptop into the hills, given the right conditions the power pack has been good for a week or two backpacking in the hills
    The older I get the Faster I was