Thread: A walk from hayfield

A walk from hayfield

So planning to try and get a nice walk from hayfield of about 3 hours. Any recommendations? Also recommendations for lunch afterwards? Cheers

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Kinder Downfall race route would be a nice walk (depending on weather!), but would require a rather fast walking pace to do in 3 hours. More reasonable would be the Mount Famine race route up to South Head, along the ridge to Brown Knoll, Edale Cross, and then there are several routes down.

There are other people on the Forum who know the area much better than me, and will probably come up with more suggestions.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Up past the reservoir and along to William Clough. Up that and follow the Pennine way SW to look at the Downfall. South over Kinder Low and then back down past Edale cross.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Up past the reservoir and along to William Clough. Up that and follow the Pennine way SW to look at the Downfall. South over Kinder Low and then back down past Edale cross.
    Which is the Kinder Downfall race route that I mentioned . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Kinder Downfall race route would be a nice walk (depending on weather!), but would require a rather fast walking pace to do in 3 hours. More reasonable would be the Mount Famine race route up to South Head, along the ridge to Brown Knoll, Edale Cross, and then there are several routes down.

There are other people on the Forum who know the area much better than me, and will probably come up with more suggestions.
    It's certainly doable in three hours, but would require a fairly brisk pace. You could shorten it a bit by coming down Kinder Low End (as Es Tresidder did in the race some years ago!!)

Lunch afterwards either in Rosie's Cafe on Kinder Road or one of the pubs in the village - the Royal, Packhorse, Sportsman...

Talking

A reduced length walk could include the footpath along the Kinder river via Mermaid's Pool to the bottom of the Downfall. You can scramble up the side of the waterfall (the left-hand side is easier) or you can take the small footpath via the Red Brook to the top of the plateau.

I always prefer running round the edge of the Low rather than across to Kinder Scout trig point and the Pennine Way (too crowded). If you follow any of the sheep tracks off the Low to the lower footpath across the fields you will avoid the busy trunk "road" from Edale Cross back to Hayfield.

A longer walk across the plateau via the upper Kinder river (great in winter when it is frozen) and turning left before the Gates would take you quickly to the footpath at the top of Fair Brook. A compass bearing can then take you to Crowden Head via a few groughs, then the fun really starts as you hag hump back to Kinder Scout. With a bit of luck you won't even notice the Pennine Way when you cross it (unless it has been paved since I last ran over it).

This extension is great when Kinder is covered in full clag and you have to rely on navigation by compass. I can usually get to quite close to my target points (usually prominent boulders on the plateau such as Madwomen's Stones) - if you miss them then you will hit the edge of the plateau and its footpath. Make sure you know the north edge from the south edge otherwise your short walk can be a long way via the top of Jaggers Clough
    Last edited by XRunner; 12-10-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Last edited by XRunner; 12-10-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Thanks all very helpful