Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgender

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    I agree with you Travs. The answer is to privatize education then parents can decide what their children are taught.
    So racists, religious bigots and anti-LGBT people can choose their children to be educated by people who share their prejudices? Wonderful idea!

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    So racists, religious bigots and anti-LGBT people can choose their children to be educated by people who share their prejudices? Wonderful idea!
    Hey, some of our finest politicians went to Eton!

Seriously though, I'm very thankful our children are taught about difference, choice, respect, etc. in school. We can hope they will be more tolerant and understanding of each other than some in the generations before them.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Hey, some of our finest politicians went to Eton!

Seriously though, I'm very thankful our children are taught about difference, choice, respect, etc. in school. We can hope they will be more tolerant and understanding of each other than some in the generations before them.
    Me too

Not sure about privatising education (admittedly i'm no expert on that, amongst many other things!)

But i'd have more faith in my nephew's parents to provide a balanced approach to a subject like that, than a school-teacher on 25 grand a year, being "led" by a curriculum.

Of course schools should be teaching about social issues (when i was at school it was called Social & Religous Education), but i'd also prefer schools to give higher priority to getting their house in order when it comes to basic education first.
    Last edited by Travs; 22-10-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I'm interested. What is it about being lesbian, gay or bisexual that you think isn't normal?
    That's an easy one. I do not believe that any of the above conform to a standard, regular, usual or typical way of life.
    I have no axe to grind with anyone who identifies with any of the above.

Whilst I agree with Hank that children should be taught about difference and respect, what I do have an axe to grind with is that schools are teaching 12/13 yrs old children that being lesbian, gay ,bisexual, non binary, transsexual and others on an ever growing list is normal.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    But i'd have more faith in my nephew's parents to provide a balanced approach to a subject like that, than a school-teacher on 25 grand a year, being "led" by a curriculum.
    What makes you think a school's approach would be imbalanced? As in do you think they're e.g. promoting homosexuality? Encouraging gender reassignment? From my experience it's more along the lines of encouraging children to understand the different lifestyle choices that are out there, be that religion, sexuality, whatever.

Re. your point on parents, I agree in as much parents should also be talking to their children about this stuff, and they may well have a different perspective. And that's fine. Kids will take in what school says, what their parents say, what their mates say, etc. and reach their own conclusions. Also worth remembering that some kids' parents won't educate their children in this area, so without school's input those children will potentially have a very limited understanding of choice, tolerance, etc.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    what I do have an axe to grind with is that schools are teaching 12/13 yrs old children that being lesbian, gay ,bisexual, non binary, transsexual and others on an ever growing list is normal.
    Do you consider yourself homophobic?
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    If it’s truly outrageous it should be raised with the headteacher/governors. Maybe it’s just outrageous enough to talk about on the internet but not complain to the school about.
    I had a conversation with the parents of an older child who had complained to the school about this, and other matters, and were basically told that if they didn't like it they could withdraw their child from the class or move the child to another school.

I will not be raising the matter with the school as I do not want my son's head to be raised above the parapet and will not be moving him to a different school as the nearest ones are 10 miles away and peddle the same stuff.

Another topic my friends brought up with the school was the fact that after sport's the children are not allowed to use the showers. So after cross country, rugby, football etc they go back into school and have to put their uniform on whilst sometimes plastered in mud.

Apparently not being able to have a shower is for "safeguarding issues" and "to protect staff".

My friends were again given the impression that if the didn't like it they knew what they could do.

And this is coming from one of the regions best schools!

As for talking about it on the Internet, I don't do Facebook,Twitter or any other site, my only vice being commenting on a thread on this little ol' Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Do you consider yourself homophobic?
    Not at all. I don't hate anyone.

Just not my cup of tea!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I had a conversation with the parents of an older child who had complained to the school about this, and other matters, and were basically told that if they didn't like it they could withdraw their child from the class or move the child to another school.

I will not be raising the matter with the school as I do not want my son's head to be raised above the parapet and will not be moving him to a different school as the nearest ones are 10 miles away and peddle the same stuff.

Another topic my friends brought up with the school was the fact that after sport's the children are not allowed to use the showers. So after cross country, rugby, football etc they go back into school and have to put their uniform on whilst sometimes plastered in mud.

Apparently not being able to have a shower is for "safeguarding issues" and "to protect staff".

My friends were again given the impression that if the didn't like it they knew what they could do.

And this is coming from one of the regions best schools!

As for talking about it on the Internet, I don't do Facebook,Twitter or any other site, my only vice being commenting on a thread on this little ol' Forum
    The not being able to use the showers is surely a covid measure? We're no longer able to use the showers at my gym either.

And on the other stuff, its most often parents who are skewed towards homophobia that have the biggest problems with schools just teaching general respect and understanding of things to do with sexuality. In my mind the biggest problem that any potentially gay child has to deal with now is how to raise it with their fuddy duddy parents; their peer group of friends at school are much more likely to be cool about it. In the olden days, and for sure when I was at school, any kid suspected of being gay had a truly awful time at the hands of all of the other kids, with suicides and/or deep mental scars resulting from it all
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 22-10-2020 at 12:07 PM.