Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgender

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Transgender

No, I'm not lining up to get it chopped.

Do you think transgender women, those who are born male, and eventually "become female", should be allowed to compete/participate in sports where speed size strength endurance etc etc are very important, with/against women?

I think they should not.

https://click.e.economist.com/?qs=32...d759b16d6c04ef

I think if somebody makes the decision to "become female", then they should have to accept that one of the drawbacks is that elite-level sport can no longer be available to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think if somebody makes the decision to "become female", then they should have to accept that one of the drawbacks is that elite-level sport can no longer be available to them.
    Why just elite level sport?

Why should a female in a local fell race have to compete against someone who has "become female" but still has the attributes of a bloke!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Why just elite level sport?

Why should a female in a local fell race have to compete against someone who has "become female" but still has the attributes of a bloke!

I only mentioned elite sport, purely because it would (should!) be easier to police at that level.

I wouldn't envy a volunteer fell-running RO being faced with untangling such a complex issue, and perhaps rather than worrying about it, that issue can be sorted if/when it arises.

I do certainly think if the issue arose at English/British Champs level of fellrunning then that would need some urgent and direct guidelines and rules in place. However i don't think fellracing is the kind of sport where a theoretical situation would arise where a trans-woman would be looking to "take advantage" of their new status for personal glory...

I often look at race results and see where i would have came in the women's placings, but i don't think i'm yet at the stage where i'm considering it as a serious sporting choice!!

I often look at race results and see where i would have came in the women's placings
    Me too. I'm now at the stage where I'm nowhere near, and I'm looking more towards competing with the MV60 category.

I've had a few tustles with Graham B when he's ventured across the Pennines from the dark side and he was a MV70 last time.

I'm destined to be tail end, DNF or timed out when racing starts up again unless there's a dramatic uptick in my form

That reminds me, whaven't seen Lantern Rouge on here for a while.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 16-10-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Now this is weird. I quoted Noel, but somehow I've posted as Noel!

Spooky.

Noel - last edited by Witton Park

Could have some fun with this!
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

I've had a few tustles with Graham B when he's ventured across the Pennines from the dark side and he was a MV70 last time.
    Can't say I've noticed. I never look at runners behind me.

And btw Burnsall is in glorious Yorkshire.,

But with Covid in mind: an interesting question I have encountered (to which you know the answer)

Q
    If everyone stayed away from each other for a couple of weeks would the common cold be wiped out?

A
    Apparently not because although rhinoviruses are fully cleared from a healthy body in about 10 days this does not apply to people with severely weakened immune systems so when people started mingling again the cold would spread in the normal way.

Does anyone have Boris's mobile number?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-10-2020 at 08:16 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I do certainly think if the issue arose at English/British Champs level of fellrunning then that would need some urgent and direct guidelines and rules in place. However i don't think fellracing is the kind of sport where a theoretical situation would arise where a trans-woman would be looking to "take advantage" of their new status for personal glory...
    In the case of Lauren Jeska, she did win English and British Champs. But she had transitioned some years before starting fell running, so I don't think there was any suggestion that she was trying to take advantage.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    In the case of Lauren Jeska, she did win English and British Champs. But she had transitioned some years before starting fell running, so I don't think there was any suggestion that she was trying to take advantage.
    But she did!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Are you aware that there was a somewhat tragic case relating to this issue involving a fell runner? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_Jeska
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges