Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: freedom of expression

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    The Prem, in my opinion, should have had a big push on Kick it Out, avoided the "taking the knee" and the fist in the air as they are politicised gestures and validate the extreme left.
    That is also my opinion.

I think the PL have dropped the BLM badge in favour of "Kick it Out, No Room for Racism". But taking the knee will forever be associated with BLM in many peoples minds so I would have have preferred some other gesture with the same sentiments.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    oh yes! The well-known fake BLM Manifesto.
    Jeez, do some research before posting this nonsense!

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/09/...festo-fascist/
    Interesting. Don't think I've seen that manifesto website, but had understood the origins of the movement to be extreme in some of its aims, but having had a dig around that amounts to defunding the police (which I guess is fairly radical!) and a call for disruptive activities. I don't think there actually is a manifesto as such, just a network operating to support an anti-racist agenda. Not so extreme left after all!
    Geoff Clarke

Interesting. Don't think I've seen that manifesto website, but had understood the origins of the movement to be extreme in some of its aims, but having had a dig around that amounts to defunding the police (which I guess is fairly radical!) and a call for disruptive activities. I don't think there actually is a manifesto as such, just a network operating to support an anti-racist agenda. Not so extreme left after all!

Indeed. Defunding the police isn't as radical as it sounds either: very few would fully defund, but rather the argument is that money spent on housing, education etc would bring down crime more effectively than paying police. During the 2014-15 "slowdown" in New York, fewer police on the streets led to less crime and there is a link between aggressive policing and higher crime rates.

But hey, let's believe the conspiracy theorists and misinformation. After all we're free to express our opinions!!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Indeed. Defunding the police isn't as radical as it sounds either: very few would fully defund, but rather the argument is that money spent on housing, education etc would bring down crime more effectively than paying police. During the 2014-15 "slowdown" in New York, fewer police on the streets led to less crime and there is a link between aggressive policing and higher crime rates.
    Yeah, I guess it's a good example of needing to understand the message behind the headline. It would be a pretty 'radical' step in as much as it would be quite a policy switch up to move to that sort of investment in communities, local services, etc., but not radical in the sense of these nutjobs want to get rid of the police to bring about their dystopian lawless fantasy.
    Geoff Clarke

Yes, Allllaaaah, do some research. Snopes.com, that 'whiter-than white' (damn, not allowed to say that anymore) 'ultra-liberal fact checking site,. Well beyond reproach! Pot-calling-the-kettle-black (Damn, there I go again)?
    Am Yisrael Chai

indeed....just noticed one important word I missed out. IF. I very much doubted it was genuine given the almost complete lack of reference to colour. Apologies...i concur with your view on it!

just edited the post and inserted if.
    Last edited by Wheeze; 19-10-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

menawhile, "violent extremists who have been exceptionally lethal in their abhorrent, targeted attacks in recent years" who "seek to force ideological change in the United States through violence, death, and destruction" who killed 39 people last year and plotted to kidnap government officials, according to the FBI.
    Or who killed 51 people in NZ? That's right, the far right....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I know Travs. Problem is we are all trapped in the amber of Covid and so keep going around in stickier and stickier circles!
    Place is becoming a shambles... most people seem to moan about repetitive and argumentative threads, then jump onto the same old arguments every time.

Has anybody ever read something on a forum (or facebook) which has actually changed their viewpoint on a matter? I highly doubt it.

We've also got a thread on the facebook page discussing the forum, which has contributions by forumites old-and-new, heading in the same direction (one former forumite appears to be trying to bring up an argument from the previous decade).

People don't like forums because, unlike modern social media, you can't condition it so you only converse with people who share your viewpoint. Gives the impression that forums are full of crackpots... when in fact modern social media is absolutely riddled with idiots (ie the general population), but we choose to ignore them and only read what we want to read.

I'm off to find a political forum and start an argument about the Langdale race... "I'M F**KING TELLING YOU, IT'S QUICKER OVER THE TOP OF ESK PIKE...."

This is no doubt true, but I'm pretty certain the FL are endorsing/aligning with the common understanding of BLM rather than what you (not unreasonably) might argue is it's "true" meaning.
    If that is the case then surely England will decline to attend the World Cup in Qatar, if they qualify.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Mossdog;668135]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post

Now is that an epiplexis or non-sequitur, or both? I can't decide Ah, well!
    Epiplexis? Woo-hoo! And who cares
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".