Thread: Alpine walking Holiday suggestions

Alpine walking Holiday suggestions

We fancy a walking holiday in the Alps next July. We have plenty of walking/alpine experience but not been for a few years. We would probably drive over and sort out our own self catering accommodation.

My partner is not so keen on doing big ascents now, so we are looking for somewhere that has lift access to higher up. Somewhere that would have enough walking to keep us busy for a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions welcome

I've not been, but i was planning to go to Lauterbrunnen area just around when covid hit, and had done quite a lot of research.

Good public transport in the area, and also plenty of lifts in the area.

I have a map and a list of potential walks/runs in the area that would have been too numerous to fit into a single holiday.

Master
    We went to Kitzbuhel 10 years in a row in the summer. They have organised guided walks 5 days a week - the guides were free, but we needed to contribute for buses and/or lifts. I used to run with the local running club, who welcomed visitors.

We also went to Wengen a couple of times - God used his best ideas in that part of the Alps - lots to do and see - not cheap, but we felt it was better value for money than for example parts of France.

We've been to Pralognan a few times. We drove both times and there's lots to do in and around the village. https://www.pralognan.com/en/activit...er-activities/ We stayed at one of the campsites.

I’d recommend Val de Fassa in the Dolomites (part of the Sella Ronda). You can buy multi day lift passes which include the buses. Stunning scenery and great food. Cheaper than Switzerland (although the Lauterbrunnen area is spectacular too!).

We stayed in Kandersteg last year, plenty of walking and a few lifts and busses. If you stay in a hotel you get a free guest pass that covers local lifts and busses, this seems fairly common in Switzerland and Austria, not sure if it include self catering accommodation, may be worth checking at the tourist office.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

At the risk of straying off the regional topic, have you considered the French/Spanish Pyrenees?

I've backpacked many sections of the High Level Route, and wild camped for weeks. In contrast, I've walked around Morzine in the French Alps and spent a hard 3 weeks backpacking along the Italian Alps -V ia Alpina. But the Pyrenees IMO can't be better for backpacking.
    Am Yisrael Chai