Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Where am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    No, this is back on what would be much more familiar territory for most of us. Clue: There are some very familiar peaks in this photo!

Although i can see where you're coming from with Skye, as it does look a little like the view of the Red Cuillins from Raasay!
    I'm stumped. Give us a clue.
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I'm stumped. Give us a clue.
    So am I. It definitely looks Scottish: if it was the Lake District, the valley land would all be enclosed in dry stone walls. Snowdonia is possible, but even there I would expect more hints of human activity in the valley.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So am I. It definitely looks Scottish: if it was the Lake District, the valley land would all be enclosed in dry stone walls. Snowdonia is possible, but even there I would expect more hints of human activity in the valley.
    Something about the photo is telling me Ogwen Valley but I can't make the skyline fit!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I’m not sure where it is but I’m pretty sure it’s not the Lakes, the Dales, the Peak, the Howgills or the North York Moors. The Brecon Beacons or Snowdonia somewhere maybe by process of elimination but I haven’t got a clue really

Wow, i'm surprised this one has been so tough... i don't really think i can provide a clue without giving it away completely.

I can confirm it is in the Lake District, and is in fact on, or exceedingly close to, a Lakeland Classics race route...

Master
    Ennerdale?

undercover moderator
    Middle Fell, Yewbarrow, Gable, Limgmell, Scafells etc from somewhere near Tosh Tarn?

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Middle Fell, Yewbarrow, Gable, Limgmell, Scafells etc from somewhere near Tosh Tarn?
    I thought something like this, particularly Yewbarrow second from left, but then Gable looks too isolated and Lingmell too low. It does look like there's likely to be a large lake in the middle out of shot.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Yep, Mud has just about nailed it.

I was pretty sure i'd taken that photo from the vicinity of 140 057, as i was staying at Woodhow Farm, and i'm pretty sure i was headed for Greendale Farm/Middle Fell/Yewbarrow. Which i'm pretty sure is on (or very close to) the flagged section on the Wasdale race.

But i suppose there's a slight possibility it was taken the day before, from a little further to the west, on the way to Buckbarrow.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    OK: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4954430 (a decent picture). I had thought that shape at the end of the dale looked like Great Gable, but I dismissed that because the foreground didn't fit with what I knew (which makes sense since I don't know Wasdale).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges