Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Where am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Sorry I cannot give map ref...not at home.
    I could not remember if summit had rocks or cairn...usually too knackered when I ran past it on the wonderful Moel Eilio race.!
    We were discussing the inter-counties on another thread... 2020 was supposed to be a race route called Llanberis Ridge (and i presume that if it goes ahead they might look to keep the same venue in 2021).... I wondered whether that was just going to be a minor variation on the Moel Eilio race route, which would be a good inter-counties course, and i'm sure has been used in some high-profile races before...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    . . . the Moel Eilio race route, which would be a good inter-counties course, and i'm sure has been used in some high-profile races before...
    I ran the Moel Eilio ridge race twice. I was 5th on the first occasion, but I was 63rd on the second occasion. Yes, it was a British Championship race that second time.

My first Moel Eilio race was actually my first fell race in North Wales. With a result like that, no wonder I decided that North Wales was a good area for racing!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Buck Pike - Dow Crag ridge...

263975 by my guess...?

Buck Pike - Dow Crag ridge...

263975 by my guess...?
    That'll do me.

Not sure how this one will come out with a small file size...

whereami9.jpg
    Geoff Clarke

That'll do me.

whereami9.jpg

Am fairly sure i've worked this one out. Have never been there, but it was the first thing that jumped into my mind, and i think i can match it to the map.

Will see if anyone else wants to throw their two-penneth in before i have a go though...

We were discussing the inter-counties on another thread... 2020 was supposed to be a race route called Llanberis Ridge (and i presume that if it goes ahead they might look to keep the same venue in 2021).... I wondered whether that was just going to be a minor variation on the Moel Eilio race route, which would be a good inter-counties course, and i'm sure has been used in some high-profile races before...
    Moel Eilio has been an Inter Counties race Travs, possibly 1999, from memory long departed forumite Comrade Gaz finished well up that day. Then it was a British champs race 2004? Run a a not very pleasant May afternoon

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Moel Eilio has been an Inter Counties race Travs, possibly 1999, from memory long departed forumite Comrade Gaz finished well up that day. Then it was a British champs race 2004? Run a a not very pleasant May afternoon
    Ironic that Gaz_1064 should appear on a "where am I" thread. I do miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Ironic that Gaz_1064 should appear on a "where am I" thread. I do miss her.
    Her????

Gaz_1064 morphed into Comrade Gaz then I believe returned briefly as Spring Heeled Jack, it would have been interesting to see his contributions to the Brexit/ Coronavirus denates

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    That'll do me.

whereami9.jpg
    I've still not much idea of where it is, except that it's a rather nice example of a glaciated valley. Absence of signs of human activity suggests Scottish Highlands, but last time I said that I was wrong; and there aren't endless ranges of mountains to the horizon, as one tends to see in the Highlands.

Edit: just thought of the Mourne Mountains, but the arrangement of mountains around the lake doesn't fit with either Ben Crom or Silent Valley reservoirs. Somewhere else in Ireland?
    Last edited by anthonykay; 05-11-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges