Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Where am I?

Quote Originally Posted by markmc View Post
    Very easy one Clisham the highest hill on the Isle of Harris.
    Agree with that. You beat me to the post. From the layby on the road. Bit of a flog, but gets better as you get higher. Fantastic views from the summit. I'm sad that when I climbed it my time was limited and I couldn't complete the horseshoe.

I spotted the telegraph wires in your first photo, Marco, which threw me. I was looking in Wales .

I ticked An Cliseam in the early 80's but would never of recognised it. What I recall most about Harris and Benbecula was that from high ground you could see so many Lochans glimmering in the sun. Fantastic.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You are correct on the hill, An Cliseam, but you haven't said where it was taken from.

And there's a very big clue on the photo for those of you who've never seen it but have sharp eyes
    Had I known that you earned a extra brownie point for the lay-by I would of said, but it is fairly obvious for those of us that have been there were the photo was taken from. And the views from the summit are fantastic to so is the horseshoe. I had a brilliant day for my run around the horseshoe with the Eagles following me for quite a while.

IMG_5077.jpg

Can't seem to rotate this photo of a trig and to be honest it's taken me 15 mins just to get it into a bloomin' post!!! Grrrh

If you can enlarge on the 'hills' in the background, you'd get to see how the highest one is unique in the list of hills of that elevation...
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    For some reason, this reminds me of Raasay (looking east to the mainland, not west to Skye). The trig point would then be Dun Caan. But I have no idea what Mossdog's cryptic clue means, and I'm fairly sure that I'm wrong, anyway.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    For some reason, this reminds me of Raasay (looking east to the mainland, not west to Skye). The trig point would then be Dun Caan. But I have no idea what Mossdog's cryptic clue means, and I'm fairly sure that I'm wrong, anyway.
    Good guess Anthony, and you're broadly in the right part of the world (Scotland - west coast), but not there yet. Sorry about the cryptic effort. What I should have said is that the 'hill' is a munro, and has a unique quality amongst those listed.
    Am Yisrael Chai

IMG_5075.jpg

Same trig - different direction and different range of hills - Corbetts. Bit of a giveaway now..
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    IMG_5075.jpg

Same trig - different direction and different range of hills - Corbetts. Bit of a giveaway now..
    Still no takers, eh! OK, the first photo shows Ben More on Mull, which is the only island Munro outside of Skye.The second photo shows a range of hills George Orwell would have seen regularly when he was resident of that island.
    Last edited by Mossdog; 13-06-2023 at 11:16 AM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I recognised Jura even before I read the Orwell clue. So with a view to both Mull and Jura, you are on Carnan Eoin, the highest point of Colonsay.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I recognised Jura even before I read the Orwell clue. So with a view to both Mull and Jura, you are on Carnan Eoin, the highest point of Colonsay.
    YAAY! Well done Anthony. Virtual prize goes to you. I have to admit that if I'd never been to Mull or Colonsay I'd not have got it.

Carnan Eoin was part of my 'fell run' several times while on the island.
    Am Yisrael Chai