I ran the Yorkshire three peaks yesterday and it led me to the realisation that I need a new pair of shoes..(IÂ’ll admit now IÂ’m a kit pest and especially love buying new shoes). My reasoning is that I currently have a pair of mudclaws, Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 and then a couple of different pairs for the road.

On my drive to the start I struggled to decide which pair of shoes to wear on the peaks. The weather was very wet and it was gale force winds. I ended up going for the Nikes due to the amount of hard packed trail, road and steps but at several times I severely regretted this decision. The run from Penn-y-Ghent to the viaduct was ok but I still could of benefited from some extra grip. The route up Ingleborough (the diverted route) was then very difficult and the run back to Horton in Ribblesdale was awful. And infuriating. I fell numerous times and couldnÂ’t run at any pace due to slipping all over the place. IÂ’m still unsure if my mudclaws would of been better or if IÂ’d have messed my feet up on the trails and road section but I know I would of appreciated them on the soft patches!

I’m now thinking I need something that has grip but enough cushioning for the harder parts of any routes. I’m looking at Inov8 terraultra’s or trailrocs... what do people think? Basically I need some sort of ‘hybrid’ shoe. If it’s super muddy I’ll wear mudclaws. If it’s dry and firm my Nikes but I need something for a mix of both. TIA.