Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which shoes?

Which shoes?

I ran the Yorkshire three peaks yesterday and it led me to the realisation that I need a new pair of shoes..(I’ll admit now I’m a kit pest and especially love buying new shoes). My reasoning is that I currently have a pair of mudclaws, Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 and then a couple of different pairs for the road.

On my drive to the start I struggled to decide which pair of shoes to wear on the peaks. The weather was very wet and it was gale force winds. I ended up going for the Nikes due to the amount of hard packed trail, road and steps but at several times I severely regretted this decision. The run from Penn-y-Ghent to the viaduct was ok but I still could of benefited from some extra grip. The route up Ingleborough (the diverted route) was then very difficult and the run back to Horton in Ribblesdale was awful. And infuriating. I fell numerous times and couldn’t run at any pace due to slipping all over the place. I’m still unsure if my mudclaws would of been better or if I’d have messed my feet up on the trails and road section but I know I would of appreciated them on the soft patches!

I’m now thinking I need something that has grip but enough cushioning for the harder parts of any routes. I’m looking at Inov8 terraultra’s or trailrocs... what do people think? Basically I need some sort of hybrid shoe. If it’s super muddy I’ll wear mudclaws. If it’s dry and firm my Nikes but I need something for a mix of both. TIA.
    Last edited by Bettercomingdown; 25-10-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Roclite 300s are my go-to shoe for stuff in-between muddy fell and road. They're nicely cushioned but have reasonable studs. I've not tried terra-ultras or trailrocs - just googling them. Trailrocs look nice.
    I see "ultra" refers to the price

I live in Horton and have been around the three peaks “a few” times. It’s a trail run really, especially if you just follow the main three peaks walkers path, and any good trail shoes should be fine. To be honest I’ve now reached the stage where I just want to wear the same flipping shoes all the time and my current shoe (which is brilliant) is the inov8 terraultra G270. If in doubt wear those

I just spotted Noel’s point about the price and, yep, it’s true they are a bit pricey. But in my opinion really worth it. My current thinking is that they’re my best ever running shoes ever (and no inov8 don’t sponsor me )

PS I love the run down to Horton from Ingleborough - you must’ve been running it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Roclite 300s are my go-to shoe for stuff in-between muddy fell and road. They're nicely cushioned but have reasonable studs. I've not tried terra-ultras or trailrocs - just googling them. Trailrocs look nice.
    I see "ultra" refers to the price
    Yeah I’ve been looking at these too. Thanks for the advice. Haha I think all trainers these days should have ultra in the price then!

I enjoyed the bits I could run.. really beautiful. But I spent more time on my a**e than I did on my feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I live in Horton and have been around the three peaks “a few” times. It’s a trail run really, especially if you just follow the main three peaks walkers path, and any good trail shoes should be fine. To be honest I’ve now reached the stage where I just want to wear the same flipping shoes all the time and my current shoe (which is brilliant) is the inov8 terraultra G270. If in doubt wear those
    I’m leaning towards the terraultras but thinking the grip might not be too great. I’m thinking the ultra x talon.. it’s usually very muddy where I run!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    The G260, the G270's predecessor, is certainly very nice, its only limitation being grip on wet grass/mud. The X-talon 255 is the same or similar width, and has much better grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bettercomingdown View Post
    I’m now thinking I need something that has grip but enough cushioning for the harder parts of any routes.
    If you use a forefoot strike, any lack of cushioning will become irrelevant. Your problem was once one i had until i decided to improve my running style, and now it doesn't matter. My road running shoes for going out with socials etc. are worn out X-Talons, which have very little shock absorbancy, but it matters not because my calves do the work instead.

One piece of advice i will offer up is to always prepare for the worst. Don't risk slipping around because it can get you badly injured. I use Walsh/Mudclaw for anything grassy and X-Talon for reservoir paths etc.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent