Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

I just assumed everyone still wore their fell shoes... i certainly did/do...
    You're not wrong Travs. That was my belief too. But I had some gift vouchers burning a hole in my wallet. I saw some boots on offer. Thought, it'd be nice not to always have to always change wet socks for once, even for a short jaunt onto the fells. As it happens, (see above) my feet just get wet anyway - Doh!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I need some new lightweight walking boots. Has anyone on here tried the Roclite Walking boots?
    I have no probs with the Roclite 315 on the lakeland fells, and @ £50 (see link below) they could be worth a punt :-

https://www.inov-8.com/roclite-315-g...l-running-shoe

At the worst they will make cheap dog walking shoe (but imo they are good for walking/Running/ Fastpacking etc)

No such thing as 100% waterproof unless you are going down the Gaiters and every other preventative bit of kit measure, fair to say I find my feet stay dryer longer though and I only use waterproof shoes when i think I will be spending hours on wet terrain because non waterproof shoes dry out quicker than the waterproof ones but of course as with every bit of kit it comes down to what suits the individual.
    Last edited by JohnK; 01-11-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    You're not wrong Travs. That was my belief too. But I had some gift vouchers burning a hole in my wallet. I saw some boots on offer. Thought, it'd be nice not to always have to always change wet socks for once, even for a short jaunt onto the fells. As it happens, (see above) my feet just get wet anyway - Doh!
    I have seen more walkers on the fells wearing Salomon & Inov8 shoes... still a huge minority compared to proper walking boots and shoes, but i guess it does highlight the increased profile of "trail running" in the media.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I typically wear Walshes when I am walking on the fells; but after a couple of days walking on some of Snowdonia's less well trodden mountains in August this year, I started feeling that it might be nice to have something that gave my feet a bit more support when I am out all day.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

I generally will be using them when out with the dogs, much of the time being spent off piste in woods,
    and crashing through brambles, nettles and generally rough ground where I find a bit of extra support useful.

I'll also be using them as a work boot when strimming, hedge cutting and mowing where the extra height helps prevent debris getting inside and provides a bit of warmth.

In addition, I think I'll give those Roclite 315's ago for running as that deal highlighted by JohnK looks excellent value!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

I generally will be using them when out with the dogs, much of the time being spent off piste in woods,
    and crashing through brambles, nettles and generally rough ground where I find a bit of extra support useful.

I'll also be using them as a work boot when strimming, hedge cutting and mowing where the extra height helps prevent debris getting inside and provides a bit of warmth.

In addition, I think I'll give those Roclite 315's ago for running as that deal highlighted by JohnK looks excellent value!
    Did you get them? Out of stock by the time I got round to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Did you get them? Out of stock by the time I got round to it.
    No. Out of stock. Even at full price!

I doubt whether they are genuine offers in the first place or just ploys to lure you in, get you to subscribe to their newsletter and then bombard you with crap.

I've unsubscribed already.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I would recommend Vivobarefoot Tracker FG for walking in the fells (and dog walking off-road etc). Very comfortable, nimble and waterproof in my experience so far.

I wear scott supertrac for most runs nowadays. Mudclaw 300 for short/medium stuff where I'm likely to be hitting the descents hard. Scott's for longer runs and then a couple of pairs of road shoes.

The only thing I've found the Scott's struggle with is really wet sloppy mud. Other than that I've really grown to love them.

Vj xtrm are great too but I think they might be a bit narrow for me now

I need some new lightweight walking boots. Has anyone on here tried the Roclite Walking boots?
    I highly recommend Vivobarefoot Tracker FG. Well made, comfy as heck, light, flexible, waterproof, durable. The grip is more like a trail shoe than an fell shoe (hence the FG name - firm ground).