Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which shoes?

Master
    I wore my new Mudtalons for the first time today. I went for the wide fit, and also wore both Injinji toe socks and Dexshell waterproof socks. The wide fit is perfect for me - I did not need to skip the bottom 4 lace holes as I usually do. There were no problems with grip, though the route I did is not particularly challenging in that respect. After about 5 miles there was a hint that one of my heels was being rubbed, but this went away when I tightened the laces. Overall they felt similar to the X-Talon 260 V2s, but just that little bit wider. I need to try them on a tricky descent, such as that from Wansfell Pike. Very pleased with them so far

Master
    New Mudtalons run 2: yesterday's possible early heel rubbing has not turned in to anything. They coped well with all the frozen terrain, and remain very comfortable. My new favourite shoe.
    Last edited by Mike T; 07-01-2024 at 06:33 PM.

A lot are wearing Adidas Terrex 225 now.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I had the Terrex fell shoes. They were very comfortable and lightweight, grippy. However the upper didn't last more than half a dozen fell races for me.

I'm willing to sacrifice longevity for superb grip to an extent (hence my current love of the graphene x-talons)

But barely lasting half a season of racing isn't justifiable to me.

How do the mudtalons compare to the mudclaws (classic)?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    How do the mudtalons compare to the mudclaws (classic)?
    It is a long time since there was a mud claw that suited my feet, but I would say the grip is much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It is a long time since there was a mud claw that suited my feet, but I would say the grip is much the same.
    Thanks Mike. Luckily I seem to be able to cram my toes into most size 11s, without too much bother!
    However, I've just ordered some Inov8 Trailfly Ultra G 300 Max at half-price from Sportshoes, for summer running on harder ground, so maybe I'm tempting fate saying that!!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Thanks Mike. Luckily I seem to be able to cram my toes into most size 11s, without too much bother!
    However, I've just ordered some Inov8 Trailfly Ultra G 300 Max at half-price from Sportshoes, for summer running on harder ground, so maybe I'm tempting fate saying that!!
    They are a very comfortable shoe for tarmac or off road where traction is not a particular issue. So a trail shoe rather than a fell shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    They are a very comfortable shoe for tarmac or off road where traction is not a particular issue. So a trail shoe rather than a fell shoe.
    Yes, that's what I was hoping. I think you've mentioned that before. I've been avoiding certain routes, such as the 9 Standards at Kirkby Stephen, which have a lot of tarmac, or gravel sections, because of ankle issues I sometimes get. Running in Hampshire, albeit cross country, early last summer also chewed my calves with the xtalons I wore at the time, so I'm hoping these will be kinder to my legs.
    Am Yisrael Chai